I am currently reading a book about living gluten-free and although we haven’t adopted the lifestyle fully yet, I have been trying to create recipes that are gluten-free for dinner time. Eventually we will work our way up to the rest of the meals.
The other day I knew I wanted to make some sort of chicken tenders type meal with “breading” that was clean and gluten-free.
I am proud to say I made this up 100% from scratch and it really did turn out great. There was none left and the kids were asking for more.
Clean Eating Gluten-Free Chicken Tenders
- 1/2-3/4 lb chicken tenders for more coating per tender, use the smaller amount - increase ingredients as necessary for larger servings
- 1 tbsp coconut oil olive oil will work too
- 1 egg optional but helps the coating stick
- 1/3 cup crushed pecans almonds or walnuts are an option too
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese or grated
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Mix dry ingredients together until combined and place in a pie pan or other shallow dish.
- Whisk egg in a medium bowl.
- Pour oil in and heat skillet until hot.
- Lower heat to medium.
- Take each tender and dip it in the egg bowl, then dredge it in the dry mixture and place in skillet.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side until the outer layer of the chicken is no longer pink.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove tenders from skillet and place in an oven safe casserole dish.
- Pour any remaining oil and loose dry ingredients from skillet over chicken.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
The serving size and ingredients in the recipe are based upon the .69 lb pack of chicken I had and it fed myself and the 2 kids, but again, they were asking for more. I think the breading was perfect for the amount of chicken, but if your prefer more “breading” base the ingredients on 1/2 lb, if you prefer less, base them on 3/4 lb.
The chicken had so much flavor and wasn’t greasy. It stayed moist and we all really enjoyed it.