I am currently reading a book about living gluten-free and although we haven’t adopted the lifestyle fully yet, I have been trying to create recipes that are gluten-free for dinner time. Eventually we will work our way up to the rest of the meals.
The other day I knew I wanted to make some sort of chicken tenders type meal with “breading” that was clean and gluten-free.
I am proud to say I made this up 100% from scratch and it really did turn out great. There was none left and the kids were asking for more.
Easy way to make gluten-free chicken tenders
- 1/2-3/4 lb chicken tenders (for more coating per tender, use the smaller amount – increase ingredients as necessary for larger servings)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (olive oil will work too)
- 1 egg (optional but helps the coating stick)
- 1/3 cup crushed pecans (almonds or walnuts are an option too)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (or grated)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Mix dry ingredients together until combined and place in a pie pan or other shallow dish.
- Whisk egg in a medium bowl.
- Pour oil in and heat skillet until hot.
- Lower heat to medium.
- Take each tender and dip it in the egg bowl, then dredge it in the dry mixture and place in skillet.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side until the outer layer of the chicken is no longer pink.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove tenders from skillet and place in an oven safe casserole dish.
- Pour any remaining oil and loose dry ingredients from skillet over chicken.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
The serving size and ingredients in the recipe are based upon the .69 lb pack of chicken I had and it fed myself and the 2 kids, but again, they were asking for more. I think the breading was perfect for the amount of chicken, but if your prefer more “breading” base the ingredients on 1/2 lb, if you prefer less, base them on 3/4 lb.
The chicken had so much flavor and wasn’t greasy. It stayed moist and we all really enjoyed it.
Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get updates and great stuff via email including subscriber-only goodies like free printables and giveaways.