This smothered steak recipe is amazing and only takes 30 minutes. And the caramelized onion gravy combines perfectly with round steak.
🍽 What you need
Large Skillet, mine is pretty basic but works for me. The important part is to make sure you use a large skillet. This helps avoid over crowding the pan and searing the meat.
- 1 tbsp olive oil vegetable oil, coconut oil (keto)
- 1 tbps butter
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 round steak 3-4 oz each
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence optional
- 1 cup broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch arrowroot (keto), heavy cream (¼ cup)
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese or similar
🔪 How to make this smothered steak
Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil or substitute coconut oil for Keto and add 1 tablespoon butter to your skillet. Add the onions, stirring until they look translucent, light brown and caramelized. Once done, add ½ the broth and one to two teaspoons of vinegar and keep cooking until all liquid is absorbed.
On a plate, season your steaks with salt and pepper and any other herb you might feel inclined to use. Herbs are all ok for diets, so do not limit yourself. I absolutely love pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground 4 or 5 blend peppercorns.
Next step is to remove the onions from the skillet and add the rest of your oil and butter. For the diet conscious folks coconut oil is your best choices, since it helps raise "good" cholesterol levels. Cook your steaks for about 4 minutes on each side and place the onions back in. Doing this will prevent the onions from overcooking or browning too much.
Add and stir cornstarch until combined. For those on low carb or keto, substitute arrowroot powder, which is also gluten-free. Wait until the liquid has been reduced to a thick gravy and add a mozzarella slice to each steak. Any cheese will work, including jack cheese or provolone.
💭 Quick tips
A nice round steak makes this recipe shine. Of course you can use any steak, but I just prefer an affordable round steak for this recipe.
Make sure you pat each steak dry before cooking in your skillet. This ensures they brown evenly creating that blissful crust that packs a ton of flavor.
This is a great time to add this to your recipe book. Plus it's fun to save on Pinterest or share with your friends on social media looking for similar recipes.
Onion Gravy Smothered Steak Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - vegetable oil, coconut oil (keto)
- 1 tbps butter
- 2 onions - sliced
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 round steak - 3-4 oz each
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence - optional
- 1 cup broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch - arrowroot (keto), heavy cream (¼ cup)
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese - or similar
- Place half of the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes until translucent, then add ½ cup beef broth and the vinegar.
- Continue cooking for about 10 minutes until onions absorb all liquid.
- Meanwhile, season the steaks with salt, pepper and optional herbs de Provence.
- Remove onions from skillet and add remaining oil and butter.
- Cook steaks for 4 minutes per side, until well browned. Add the onions back to the pan.
- Stir cornstarch (arrowroot powder or ¼ cup heavy cream) into remaining broth and add to pan.
- Continue cooking until the liquid is reduced by half and turns into a thick gravy.
- Add one slice of mozzarella cheese (or ¼ cup shredded) to each steak. (If it doesn't melt easily, place a lid on the skillet to assist.)