Everything is better with bacon. Everything. Including asparagus. And you haven’t had the full bacon experience until you have tried bacon wrapped asparagus.
A lot of bacon wrapped asparagus recipes leave the asparagus long and just wrap the bacon around the middle. Well, I like more of a 50/50 ratio with my bacon and my asparagus. So for this recipe, we cut the asparagus down into short pieces. It helps it cook more evenly too. It keeps the ends of the asparagus from burning before the middle finishes cooking.
Bacon wrapped asparagus makes a great appetizer!
Before we get to the recipe, I thought I would answer a few questions about asparagus and how to cook it.
Please note that this recipe was provided by a a guest chef. The article is written by me, but this recipe was created by a contributor.
How do you clean and cook asparagus?
The key to cleaning and cooking asparagus is to get rid of the tough ends. Watch the video below:
What is the best way to cook asparagus?
You can cook asparagus on the stove top in a frying pan, you can roast it, you can grill it, you can bake it. You can even boil it. It really depends upon your tastes and how much effort you want to put into it.
My husband likes to roast it with Parmesan cheese and garlic. I prefer it wrapped in bacon. The best way too cook asparagus though is definitely with some seasonings and either roasted or grilled. You get the best flavor that way.
How long should I cook asparagus with bacon?
In the oven, bacon wrapped asparagus will need to be cooked for 10-15 minutes. If your bacon is thicker, you may need more time. On the grill, you should cook asparagus with bacon for a couple minutes over the high heat of the center of the grill, then move it to the edge and cook for around 20 minutes or until bacon is cooked.
What temperature to cook bacon wrapped asparagus?
In the oven, 425° F is the temperature to cook bacon wrapped asparagus at, and on the grill, you will probably be around 350° F.
How many carbs in asparagus?
A medium spear of asparagus has around .6 grams of carbs. The fiber is around .3 grams which makes net carbs for a spear of asparagus .3 grams. They are a great low carb veggie, and you add a nice amount of fat by wrapping them in bacon!
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Recipe
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus (low carb)Print Pin Rate
- 1 package sliced bacon
- 1 bundle asparagus
- Wash clean and dry asparagus. Cut each piece of asparagus into 3 even (or close to even) pieces.
- Wrap each bundle (of 3 pieces) of asparagus with a slice of bacon.
For the grill
- For a gas grill, heat grill to 350. For charcoal heat to medium high, making sure the flame doesn't get too high to burn the asparagus.
- Place bacon wrapped asparagus into center of grill for 2 minutes, continuously turning.
- Remove bacon wrapped asparagus to the outer edges of the grill and continue to cook for 18 minutes with lid closed, for a total cook time of 20 minutes. During that time, turn and flip the asparagus every few minutes to keep the bacon from burning on any sides.
- Remove from grill and serve immediately.
For the oven
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Place bacon wrapped asparagus on a cookie sheet and roast for 10-12 minutes or until bacon is slightly crispy.
Pin this on Pinterest!