This low carb chicken enchilada casserole recipe will be loved by everyone, but the absence of tortillas makes it perfect for low carb or keto diets. You could add tortillas if you prefer as well.
I have two favorite foods, pizza, and enchiladas. If they were the only food available, I could eat them both every day and be happy. But when you follow a low carb diet, those are two types of foods that are notoriously full of carbs.
I’ve managed to find a delicious low carb pizza recipe, and now I’ve come up with a low carb chicken enchilada casserole that will satisfy my cravings for enchiladas and Mexican food.
This recipe is based on the America’s Test Kitchen Chicken Enchiladas recipe. They test their recipes 30-70 times and have at-home testers that make sure the recipes are easy to follow and understand. So you know their recipes are foolproof.
For the low carb chicken enchilada casserole, I removed the tortillas and added some extra cheese. You can add additional ingredients depending on what you like in your enchiladas, like avocado, green onions, lettuce, tomato, whatever your little heart desires. You can add black olives, use monterey jack cheese or even add black beans if you don’t mind some extra carbs.
Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole
(scroll down for printable recipe)
This recipe is pretty quick and easy to cook, though it does require a bit of prep time for the chicken. Maybe next time I’ll try and make some low carb tortillas to achieve a more traditional dish.
I calculated the nutrition information for this recipe. I’m not at all comfortable with providing this information because it really is all hinging on the enchilada sauce you choose.
That is where the carbs are coming from. Some may also have sugar as well though mine didn’t show up with sugar content.
I HIGHLY recommend that you use MyfitnessPal or some other calculator to create a recipe and calculate it with the ingredients that you actually use.
And if you ever need to convert your ingredients from other measurements, check out this free printable that can tell you how many cups in a quart and other cooking unit conversions. It presents in a graphical way making it super easy to understand (it’s in writing too in case you aren’t a visual person).
If you need another dinner idea for this week, my low carb creamy Bolognese sauce with zucchini noodles is delicious! Watch the video below for more info.
You won’t even miss the tortilla!
Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts trimmed & pounded if necessary
- Salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce store bought or from scratch
- 1 cup finely crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- 1 4 oz. can of green chiles (chopped)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Olive oil spray or you can use olive oil in a little bowl with a brush
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Lime wedges optional
- Sour cream optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the chicken and enchilada sauce in a medium saucepan & simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium-low heat. Then flip the chicken over, cover and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until chicken reaches 160-165 degrees with an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove chicken from pan and shred into bite-sized pieces. Combine shredded chicken, the enchilada sauce, queso fresco, chiles and cilantro in a bowl. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Spray a square casserole dish with olive oil (or use a brush) and coat the entire bottom and sides.
- Evenly spread 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on the bottom of the dish. Add the chicken mixture, then add the other cup of cheddar cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 3 to 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve with optional lime wedges and optional sour cream.