Baked corn tortilla strips are the perfect addition to your favorite soups and salads. They add an extra crunchy texture that is hard to find in store-bought versions. Once you try these homemade tortilla strips, you'll never go back!
This recipe can be used in place of store-bought chips or as a garnish for soup like my Mexican Tortilla Soup with Chicken and Black Beans. So let's get started!
⭐ EASY Baked Tortilla Strips
While there are many wonderful ways to use leftover corn tortillas, making baked tortilla strips is one of my absolute favorites. Who doesn't like having tortilla strips on hand for snacking pleasure?
They are perfect dipped into enchilada sauce, guacamole, salsa, cheese sauce, among other delicious dips.
These crunchy strips also make a crispy, flavorful topping for burrito bowls, tortilla soup, casseroles, and nachos. You can enjoy them in so many different ways.
That's why I always make a batch every other weekend. Plus, my kids love them!
This 3-ingredient tortilla strips recipe is unbelievably easy to make. You only need to cut the tortillas into strips or whatever shape you prefer, coat with olive oil, season with salt, and bake! Yup. That's basically it!
Why not grab those tortillas that you've stashed in the freezer and make these homemade tortilla strips? They're extra crispy and much healthier than store-bought ones. Check out my tortilla chips in the air fryer recipe.
🍽 What you need
You only need 3 ingredients that are already in your pantry to make tortilla strips. Plus, the whole process takes so little effort on your part. The only work you have to do is to cut the tortillas into bite-size strips, place them in the baking pan, and the oven does the rest.
Flour or Corn Tortillas
This recipe also works with flour tortillas, but I don't find them as flavorful as their cousin corn. Which do you prefer?
🔪 How to make tortilla strips
These tortilla strips taste better than most brands out there. And, it'll only take you less than 20 minutes to whip them up. Just give them a try and see!
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218 degrees Celsius).
Cut tortillas in half lengthwise, then cut into ¼ inch strips.
Combine olive oil and tortilla strips in a bowl until strips are coated with oil.
Place strips on parchment-lined baking sheets and sprinkle with salt.
Bake for 8-12 minutes, turning strips a couple times during baking. Remove when crisp and lightly browned.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Fried Tortilla Strips
If you prefer going the frying route, simply heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Fry the tortilla chips in a single layer(use a metal slotted spoon or tong to distribute the strips) for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
Season with salt and whatever else you want. Remember to only use oils with high smoke points, such as olive oil, canola oil, safflower oil, vegetable oil, or avocado oil. The amount of oil really depends on how many tortilla strips you're planning to make, but ¾ -1 cup should do.
If you're out of parchment paper, grease the baking sheet with cooking spray instead.
I kept this recipe pretty straightforward. Sprinkle the sliced tortillas with your favorite spices before baking if you want seasoned tortilla strips. You can never go wrong with smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, or taco seasoning.
Make a big batch of crispy tortilla strips and store them at room temperature in an airtight container or paper bag.
They should be good for about a week if they last that long!
🥗 What to serve with
Tortilla chips are pretty universal. We all know crispy tortilla strips and dips are a match made in heaven. But there's also another classic pairing that is a surefire hit! Try;
- Garnishing your tortilla soup, chicken noodle soup, or tomato soup with these chips.
- Add crunch to your green salad, taco salad, or your favorite salads.
- Topping your keto nachos, tacos, casseroles, baked potato bar, macaroni, and cheese.
- Crushing the chips and using them instead of bread crumbs in recipes for a new twist.
🍳 Related Snack Recipes
👪 Serving Size
Serve tortilla strips with your favorite soups or dips on game nights or at parties, and see how your guests will rave about it. This recipe serves 8 people, so you need more corn tortillas if you're having a party.
Easy Baked Tortilla Chips
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt - to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut tortillas in half lengthwise, then cut into ¼ inch strips.
- Combine olive oil and tortilla strips in a bowl until strips are coated with oil.
- Place strips on a parchment lined baking sheets and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, turning strips a couple times during baking. Remove when crisp and golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
- If you're out of parchment paper, grease the baking sheet with cooking spray instead.
- I kept this recipe pretty straightforward. Sprinkle the sliced tortillas with your favorite spices before baking if you want seasoned tortilla strips. You can never go wrong with smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, or taco seasoning.