This 30 minute cheesy cauliflower casserole is so delicious, hearty, and satisfying. If you're craving something easy and quick to make this recipe is for you. I guarantee you're going to want to make this casserole recipe all the time.
If you like easy casserole meals, check out my collection of best zucchini casserole recipes.
⭐Why this recipe is the best
As you all know by now, cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables, as I've shared so many recipes. You'll love my cauliflower rice, air fryer cauliflower, and whole roasted cauliflower recipes. For more cauliflower recipe ideas, check out my cauliflower recipe collection.
Now let's talk about this cauliflower casserole. This recipe is super delicious and loaded with lots of cheese, bacon, chicken, heavy cream, and everything nice. Even the pickiest of eaters cannot resist this mouthwatering dish. I guarantee even your kids will be asking for seconds!
I have fussy eaters at home, but they're always excited to eat this cauliflower casserole cause there's nothing cheese and bacon can't fix!
And the best part? You won't spend hours hovering over the stove. It takes just 40 minutes to put together! This also makes it a fantastic weeknight dinner meal.
🍽 Key Ingredients
To prepare this cauliflower casserole that's jam-packed with great flavor, you'll need a dozen ingredients, but nothing fancy. Most probably, you already have the ingredients in your fridge or pantry.
Cauliflower rice: I used frozen cauliflower rice. When it comes to making casseroles or stir-fries, frozen cauliflower works pretty well.
Cheese: a combination of cheddar cheese, mozzarella and cream cheese elevates this flavorful casserole.
Chicken: you will need shredded cooked chicken and chicken broth.
Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste.
Others: heavy whipping cream and cooked bacon.
Feel free to use fresh cauliflower if that's what you have on hand. Steamed cauliflower works just as great, so don't be afraid to use it -casseroles are pretty forgiving.
🔪 How to make cauliflower casserole
This cauliflower casserole is one of those recipes that everyone will love, including kids. Just combine the ingredients, toss in the oven and done! Ready to wow your family or guests?
These steps are pretty quick and easy to prepare the low carb cauliflower casserole for baking. You can do the cleanup while it cooks!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Place 6 cups of frozen cauliflower rice into a large mixing bowl.
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, then add the softened cream cheese and heavy cream. Stir until the cream cheese is mostly melted and the two have fully incorporated. Cream cheese takes a bit of time to melt, so don't rush and be patient.
Add the ½ c mozzarella
Add ½ c of the cheddar cheese into the cream cheese mixture and stir until well mixed and bubbly. Keep stirring until the cheesy sauce thickens to your desired consistency. If it gets too thick, add some heavy cream to thin. And if it's too thin to your liking, add some cheese.
Sprinkle the garlic powder, onion powder.
Add bone broth over the cheese sauce and stir until smooth.
Remove the saucepan from the heat, and pour the mixture over the cauliflower rice. Mix to combine the ingredients well, and add salt and pepper to taste.
Add in 1 lb. of shredded chicken.
Place the mixture into a baking dish. Top with ½ cup of bacon crumbles.
Pour the remaining ½ cup cheddar. Bake the casserole in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Garnish with green onion or top with sour cream!
💭 Cooking tips
Want to make sure your cauliflower casserole turns out right every time? Just follow these easy tips;
- If you want to glam it up a little, sprinkle some fresh chives on top before serving.
- If you like heat, add some red pepper flakes or jalapenos.
- For an extra punch of flavor, you can drizzle the cauliflower florets with olive oil.
- If you're using frozen cauliflower, you don't need to thaw it in this recipe.
- Parchment paper sheets do come in handy for easy cleanup.
- If possible, always shred your cheese. It not only tastes and melts better but doesn't contain added preservatives. Pre shredded cheese only makes sense if you're short on time.
📋 Recipe Variations
Here are some variation ideas to switch things up;
- Want your casserole extra cheesy? Add some more sharp cheddar but don't eyeball it! And if you're concerned about fat, feel free to swap cheddar for grated parmesan cheese (it melts better anyways) or any of your favorite. It will bring a different hint of flavor to the dish, but I'm pretty sure it will still be delicious. It's cheese, after all, and it makes everything better!
- Don't eat cauliflower? Sub broccoli for cauliflower. Also, feel free to use both. Adding broccoli can add more texture and flavor to your casserole.
- A combination of half and half cream and melted butter can be used instead of heavy cream. The combo is low in fat if you're focusing on fat. Sour cream is also a great alternative if you don't have these ingredients on hand. It will still give you creamy results but with a bit of tang. And if you want to downplay the sour cream 'sourness,' add a bit of confectioner' sugar.
- You can use cauliflower florets instead of riced cauliflower. But make sure to cut the cauliflower head into small, bite-size pieces. Thick pieces are not ideal for this recipe.
If you prepared more than you should, don't fret. You can refrigerate and enjoy it later when cravings come calling.
Leftovers can last for up to 3 days in the fridge. However, I don't recommend freezing your cauliflower casserole because sour cream and cream cheese don't hold up well in the freezer.
Dairy products usually separate when frozen and become unappetizing.
🙋 Common Asked Questions
How many carbs in cauliflower?
According to the USDA, 1 cup of chopped cauliflower has 5.32 grams of carbs and 2.1 grams of fiber. This equals 3.22 grams of net carbs. The USDA also reports that a small head of cauliflower has 13.17 grams of carbs and 5.3 grams of fiber, which equals 7.87 grams of net carbs.
This recipe uses 6 cups of riced cauliflower which has 31.91 grams of carbs and 12.8 grams of fiber. This equals a total of 19.11 grams of net carbs coming from the cauliflower for this entire recipe. Complete (estimated) nutritional information for this recipe can be found in the recipe card.
🥗 What to serve with
If you choose to serve it as a side dish, this meal pairs flawlessly with my smothered pork chops and ranch pork chops. Both of these dishes have a creamy sauce that combines perfectly with a cauliflower side dish.
🍳 Related easy recipes
If you love cauliflower recipes as much as I do and need some ground beef inspirational dishes to go with it, check out our 25 easy ground beef recipes with few ingredients and these easy recipes below.
👪 Serving size
This easy cauliflower casserole recipe serves 6 people, and it is a true crowd-pleaser. It delivers a rich, soul-satisfying flavor that everyone will love- kids and adults alike. And the beauty of it all is that you can serve it as a main dish or side dish - both are equally fulfilling.
Also try my cauliflower shepperd's pie which is fantastic quick and easy dinner.
So if you're in the mood for some mind-blowing comfort food without feeling guilty about your keto diet, try this guilt-free casserole cauliflower recipe. I assure you it's going to be one of your favorite recipes!
Try one of my easy recipes for your next family meal! And if you have any questions, I'm here to help!
- 1 lb. Chicken - shredded, cooked (or canned)
- 6 cups Cauliflower rice - frozen
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese - shredded
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese - shredded
- 4 oz Cream cheese - full fat
- ⅓ cup Heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup Chicken bone broth
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion powder
- ½ cup Bacon - chopped, cooked
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- ¼ cup Green onions - optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 6 cups of frozen cauliflower rice into a large mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add 4 ounces of softened cream cheese and ⅓ cup of heavy whipping cream. Stir until the cream cheese is mostly melted.
- Add in ½ cup of Mozzarella cheese and ½ c. of the cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese is smooth and melted, and the mixture begins to thicken.
- Whisk in the garlic powder, onion powder and bone broth. Mix until smooth.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and pour the mixture over the cauliflower rice. Mix to combine the ingredients well, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in 1 lb. of shredded chicken.
- Place the mixture into a baking dish. Top with ½ cup of bacon crumbles and the other ½ cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake the casserole in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.