When you follow a low carb diet you often get cravings for foods that just aren’t allowed. Like candy. And bread. And chips. Lots and lots of chips. There is something about the salty crunch of a chip, be it potato, corn or even vegetable that is satisfying to the palate and somehow helps distract you from all of your troubles and woes. At least while you are eating them. And it’s really hard to find low carb snacks that taste good and don’t cost a million dollars. But thanks to a little invention called cheese, you can now have your chips and eat them too with these tasty low carb cheese crisps.
Actually no. I’m exaggerating quite a bit. Cheese cannot really in any way, shape or form replace an actual chip. But it can sort of, maybe, distract you slightly, for a few minutes from the fact that you aren’t eating chips.
Low Carb Cheese Crisps
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used Chihuahua)
- chili powder (to taste)
- garlic powder (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a baking sheet (or two) with parchment paper.
- Using a measuring spoon, drop 1 tbsp piles of cheese about 2 inches apart (the cheese will spread so don't put them too close) on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle chili powder and garlic powder on each pile.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes (may vary, keep a close eye on them).
- Remove from oven and lift parchment paper and place on cooling racks.
- Dab tops of crisps with a paper towel to remove some of the excess grease (this is optional but if you don't do it, your crisps may be soggy - still yummy, but soggy - if you didn't cook them long enough).
- Store in an air-tight container or in the refrigerator.
They may not really be a substitute for chips, but I DARE YOU to eat just one. The crispier these are, the better they are to use for dipping. You could make smaller to make them bite-sized to change things up.
You can use this general recipe and change up the types of cheese you use and the seasonings to create all kinds of delicious flavors! Next time I’m thinking mozzarella cheese and Italian seasonings to dip in marinara sauce.
I also have another low carb cheese snacks recipe here: Low Carb Parmesan Crisps
Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.