In my quest to make as much as I can for my family from scratch, I have been looking for granola bar options that are gluten-free and easy to make. I also had an itch to make something with pumpkin. As far as on-hand ingredients go when you aim to have a gluten-free treat, oatmeal is an easy, affordable option.
Oatmeal+pumpkin+some other fun stuff = Gluten-Free Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars with Peanut Butter.
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars with Chocolate & Peanut Butter
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 2 cups oats not instant
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup raw honey can be increased if you prefer a sweeter bar
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips organic preferred
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl & blend with a spoon
- Line and 8x8 pan w/ parchment paper
- Spray w/ olive oil or other non-stick
- Spread mixture into pan
- Bake @ 350F for 20-25 minutes
- Check with toothpick. If it comes out clean, it is done.
The original recipe for these bars used brown sugar and white sugar, which I have replaced with honey. This makes the bars more moist as compared to using sugar. You could replace the honey with sugar or Stevia.
These were good. My kids loved them, and I admit I had one and want more. They are not all sugary and sweet like a traditional bar, however. They are thick and tasty and REAL. You can taste each of the ingredients with each bite and feel good that there is nothing fake to be found in these.