This holiday blondies recipe uses a secret ingredient - boxed cake mix - for a quick and easy holiday treat. Perfect to take to Christmas parties and gatherings so you don't arrive empty handed. And they taste fantastic and they even look Christmassy.
During the holidays all bets are off. Bets meaning diets. We indulge in delicious treats during the holidays knowing that new years is right around the corner waiting for us to commit to healthier eating.
And that's ok. I really think it's healthy to indulge without guilt. At least within limits.
Which is why I am sharing this yummy Christmas blondies recipe. It is so easy to make and it's fun and festive. It seems like you put a lot of work into it, but it really only takes a few minutes to prepare. The oven does the rest.
🍽 Ingredient Notes
About Boxed Cake Mix
If you are like me, you prefer not to use boxed products filled with preservatives or hydrogenated oils, but you like the convenience of a boxed mix. There are plenty of brands that sell natural and organic boxed cake mix without all of that stuff in them. I shop at Whole Foods, but you can probably find them at your local grocery store as well.
Amazon has some too but if you don't mind buying them in bulk.
About Colored Chocolate Chips
If you go to the trouble to use an organic cake mix, you may not want the colored dyes in your chocolate chips. You have a couple of options.
- Buy natural white chocolate chips and dye them with natural food coloring.
- Use a a brand like Little Secrets or Unreal coated candies instead of the chocolate chips.
🔪 How to Make
Holiday Christmas blondies with colored chocolate chips in a vanilla brownie batter. Follow my step-by-step instructions blow and scroll down for exact recipe measurements.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
Using an electric mixer, mix together butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add eggs and continue mixing.
Add milk and vanilla extract. Once wet ingredients are well-combined, add cake mix in thirds.
Fold 2/4 of the colored chocolate chips in brownie batter.
Pour into coated pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test (ie.: insertion of a toothpick in the center of the brownies and it comes out clean).
Allow the brownies to cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares and place on wax paper.
Melt white chocolate in a bowl and drizzle on top of each brownie. Top with your remaining colored chocolate chips.
Allow for the white chocolate to set and then serve. Happy holidays – enjoy!
🤶 Fantastic Christmas Recipes and Ideas
🙋 Frequently Asked Questions
What is a blondie?
Well, aside from a light haired woman, a blondie is kind of like a brownie but without chocolate. So it's a non-chocolate brownie. Or a blondie brownie.
What flavor is a blondie brownie?
A blondie brownie is vanilla flavored. You could flavor it in other ways too, especially for the holidays. Add some almond extract or even some peppermint extract.
How do you make simple blondies?
Simple blondies are easy. Use a boxed cake mix like I use in this recipe!
What is the difference between a blondie and a brownie?
A blondie tends to be a little less dense than a brownie. It's also not chocolate flavored. But they are both baked in a "bar" form and you can pick them up and eat them with your hands. A blondie is somewhat more versatile because you can easily change up the flavors to make a completely unique dessert recipes.
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Try one of my quick, easy, and affordable dessert recipes for your next family meal! And if you have any questions, I'm here to help!
If you love sweets, try one of my easy dessert recipes with few ingredients for a quick treat.
Easy Holiday Blondies Recipe
- 2 tablespoon flour - for dusting the pan
- 1 ½ sticks butter - melted + extra (softened) for coating the pan
- ⅓ cup brown sugar - packed
- 2 eggs - room temperature
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- ¾ cup red white, and green chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 350 degrees bake 24-28 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9x9 square pan with butter then dust with flour (generously).
- Using an electric mixer, mix together butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add eggs and continue mixing.
- Add milk and vanilla extract. Once wet ingredients are well-combined, add cake mix in thirds.
- Fold 2/4 of the colored chocolate chips in brownie batter.
- Pour into coated pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test (ie.: insertion of a toothpick in the center of the brownies and it comes out clean).
- Allow the brownies to cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares and place on wax paper.
- Melt white chocolate in a bowl and drizzle on top of each brownie. Top with your remaining colored chocolate chips. Allow for the white chocolate to set and then serve. Happy holidays – enjoy!