I usually find that I use cream of mushroom soup as ingredients in other dishes. For example, I use cream of chicken soup in my cheesy chicken and rice bake but you could just as easily use cream of mushroom and it would be delicious. For use IN a dish, you may want to chop the mushrooms into smaller pieces. Or not. It's really a personal preference.
My version of cream of mushroom soup is low carb which makes it perfect for keto diet followers, but those who don't follow a low carb diet won't even notice the changes I made to make it low carb. My family didn't.
I think my son had at least four bowls of this soup, he just kept eating and eating.
How do you make cream of mushroom soup?
The recipe below explains the fairly easy process of making homemade cream of mushroom soup. You can use whole button mushrooms and slice them or buy them already sliced. I am lazy and prefer to buy them sliced. It saves a little bit of time.
The key to cream of mushroom soup is getting it to thicken, and for a low carb version you need to make a slurry out of arrowroot and water and add it in towards the end to thicken the soup.
Also make sure to check out my low carb beer cheese soup recipe as well.
Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, stirring frequently, saute for 8-10 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add seasonings and heavy cream and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Make a slurry with the arrowroot and water (mix them together and stir until smooth).
- Simmer for about 12-15 minutes, then add the arrowroot to the soup and stir. The sauce should thicken immediately, remove from heat.