This vegan goulash recipe is just as delicious and comforting as the traditional version!
Goulash is one of the most ultimate comfort foods. Meat and pasta and sauce and cheese and spices all combined for a yummy, warm satisfying meal. But depending upon the diet plan you follow, goulash may not be on your menu. But it can be. If you follow a keto or low carb diet, you need a substitute for the noodles, and if you follow a vegan diet you need to replace the meat and cheese.
You can also eliminate the cheese altogether.
This recipe uses the same base recipe as my low carb goulash does, it just uses plant based crumbles and vegetable broth. You can, however, eliminate the crumbles as well, replacing them with kidney beans so it would be more like a chili. Alternatively, you can use the crumbles and add kidney beans. It’s a super versatile recipe.
Don’t forget to check out my low carb goulash recipe too!
Vegan Goulash Recipe
- 2 lbs plant based crumbles
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme.
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp Adobo Seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup elbow macaroni cooked
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage optional
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese optional
- In a large pan or dutch oven, heat the ground crumbles per the packages instructions with garlic, onions and olive oil.
- Add water and broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, italian seasoning, bay leaves, and seasoned salt, pepper and adobo seasoning. Mix well.
- Lower heat and cover - allow to cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cabbage (if using) and the cooked macaroni, and let simmer for about 5 minutes (for more crunchy texture) to 10 minutes (for softer texture).
- Remove from heat and remove the bay leaves.
- Stir in vegan cheese and serve.
Pin this on Pinterest for later!