This keto egg roll in a bowl recipe is made with pork and is called "crack slaw" because it is so good! it's quick, easy and delicious!
I have no idea who came up with the phrase "crack slaw" but it is pretty descriptive of this stuff. It's addictive slaw, hence the slang name.
This recipe, however, is inspired by a traditional egg roll recipe but without so many carbs. So it's essentially the filling from an egg roll! It's healthier, easier and faster to make and is a satisfying on pan stir fry style meal. All of the flavor of an egg roll but a whole lot fewer carbs.
You don't need too many ingredients for this recipe. If you are really hard-core keto you may opt to eliminate the carrot, but it doesn't add too many carbs in the grand scheme of things, so I prefer to leave it in.
You can use a head of cabbage or buy slaw already shredded in a bag. I much prefer the pre-shredded slaw.
First you want to chop the onion and the garlic. If you hate chopping onions like I do, you might want to pick up an onion chopper. They are pretty awesome.
You will use these when you brown the ground pork.
Keeping stirring and sauteing.
In the meantime you can chop the cabbage and shred the carrot.
You want the pork to be completely browned.
One the meat is browned, drain it and add in the rest of the ingredients.
Cook for a bit longer and then serve.
See how easy that is? It can be ready in around 15-20 minutes or so.
💭 Top tip
This keto egg roll in a bowl recipe can be enjoyed as a main dish - it's loaded with veggies, or as a side dish to something else. Either way, it's really good! It's not the easiest dish to reheat, though because the cabbage can get kind of soggy. But it works cold too so if you have leftovers you can try it as a cold salad the next day.
If you want to heat it up, I'd probably add it back to a skillet with a bit of oil and heat it up that way.
Pork (Crack Slaw) Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 pound ground pork or pork sausage
- 1 sweet onion - diced
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 16 ounce package coleslaw OR 1 medium green cabbage shredded (about 3-5 cups)
- 1 large carrot - grated
- ¼ cup soy sauce - use tamari or coconut aminos to make recipe gluten free!
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- green onions and sesame seeds for garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Chop / dice onions and garlic.
- Add pork, onion, and garlic to the skillet. Cook until browned and no longer pink.
- Drain the meat and return it to the skillet.
- Add ginger, soy sauce, cabbage/coleslaw mix, and carrots to the skillet with the meat.
- Cook, stirring for 5-7 more minutes, until cabbage is wilted.
- Remove skillet from heat. Top with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.