This delicious Mexican burrito bowl recipe is vegan and easily made low carb as well.
I followed a low carb diet for many years until I started having hormone issues and adrenal fatigue. My body wasn’t happy about restricting carbs so I had to make some changes. And in a way, I kind of went 180 degrees opposite of low carb. I became vegan. Well, I don’t consider myself vegan necessarily, I prefer to say plant based. But people don’t seem to understand that as well as vegan, so I just say vegan.
My son is vegan as well and the one thing both of us agree on is that the food tastes amazing. It seems like there is so much more flavor and texture to it. We also both love Mexican food and it’s super easy to make vegan Mexican dishes like my vegan burrito bowl recipe.
This recipe is derived from my chicken burrito bowl recipe, with some modifications to make it vegan. Obviously we eliminate the chicken breasts. You can keep the cilantro lime cauliflower rice or use brown rice, it would still remain gluten free. You can add black beans, corn or even tortilla chips depending on the restrictions of your diet. Vegan sour cream might be a great addition too.
No matter what, consider this recipe a guide, and modify it to your liking with your favorite ingredients.
Vegan Burrito Bowl Recipe
- 1 recipe cilantro lime cauliflower rice or brown rice
- 1 cup salsa your favorite one
- 1 large lime cut into 4
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper sliced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 2 cups leaf lettuce shredded
- 1-1/2 cups black beans or refried or pinto
- 1-1/2 cups corn
- 1-1/2 cups guacamole
- 1 cup vegan cheese optional
- 1 cup vegan sour cream optional
- Make the rice per the recipe.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the beans and corn so they can be served warm.
- Divide rice into 4 bowls.
- Top each bowl of rice with 1/4 of the remaining ingredients: salsa, lime (you can squeeze the juice over the bowl), beans, corn, guacamole, lettuce, onion, jalapeno and red pepper. Add optional ingredients the same way if using. Or any combination of these ingredients depending upon taste.
Pin one, pin all!