Most people wrinkle their nose up when you say the word prune, but they are nothing more than dried plums and they really are very good.
And good for you.
Well, I hereby forbid you to avoid prunes any longer! I declare 2015 "the year of the prune" because prunes are a great way to help stick with your healthy resolutions.
Sunsweet® makes it easy to snack healthy with prunes. You can enjoy Sunsweet PlumSmart® Light juice made from fresh, juicy plums, or eat Sunsweet Amaz!n™ Prunes and Sunsweet Amaz!n™ Diced Prunes right from the bag.
Benefits of Prunes
Studies have shown that prunes can be a very beneficial part of a healthy diet. They contain nutrients that support a healthy body.
- Bone Health: Prunes may promote healthy bones. Dr. Bahram H. Arjmandi of Florida State University says, "Dried plums (prunes) are the most bone-friendly fruit that I have seen in decades. They are nature's solution to maintaining good bone health." Dr. Arjmandi hypothesizes that the many compounds and nutrients contained in prunes, such as vitamin K, potassium, copper and boron, likely work synergistically to have this positive effect. Additional research is currently being conducted to learn more about prunes and bone health.
- Potassium: Potassium may help prevent hypertension and stroke and play a role in helping support cell energy by regulating fluid balance, nerve impulses and muscle contraction to increase energy.
- Fiber: A diet containing foods with fiber can replace fats and sweets, and contributes to heart health.
- Regularity: A fiber rich diet may contribute to maintaining a consistent digestive tract which helps lead to improved digestive health.
Prunes also have a low glycemic index, and only 100 calories per serving.
In addition to enjoying prune juice and prunes right from the bag, you can also create delicious snacks using prunes or diced prunes as one of the ingredients. They add sweetness and delicious flavor!
I made Vanilla Plum Energy Bites!
Vanilla Plum Energy Bars
- ½ cup dates - 6-8 dates
- ½ cup prunes or diced prunes
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and puree until combined and sticking together.
- If the mixture seems a bit too dry, add water and continue to puree. You probably won't need it.
- Remove mixture from bowl and take small pieces of the mixture and roll into small balls. Makes approx. 16-18 bite sized balls.
- Chill until eaten.
These are SO GOOD. It's hard to eat just one, but they are good for you so go ahead and eat a couple.
It is possible to enjoy delicious and healthy snacks to help keep your resolutions on target!