Cheesy, I know.
But it’s true.
I recently got a new desk. I had been working on a laptop at my kitchen counter for a long, long time and when that computer died, I decided a desktop was a better choice, but certainly wasn’t appropriate at the counter. So I needed a desk and I needed one that fit in a small space but still held everything that I needed to function. I found this armoire style desk and fell in love with it.
But it had one problem.
My Epson Artisan 830 printer wouldn’t fit in it. Trust me, I tried. More than once. I love that printer.
So the printer space has sat empty.
Today Epson is revealing a brand new printer to the market. A printer that literally completes me – or at least my desk.
The EPSON Expression® Home XP-400 Small-in-One Printer
The EPSON Expression® Home XP-400 Small-in-One™ is designed for simplicity, delivering an intuitive and abundant feature-set at an affordable price. Offering a 2.5″ color LCD for easy PC-free photo printing, instant-drying DURABrite® Ultra ink, and quiet operation, this compact unit is built to perform. Plus, the new small-in-one comes equipped with EPSON Connect™, Apple® AirPrint™ and Google Cloud Print™ for convenient wireless printing on-the-go from smartphones, tablets and more. The Expression Home XP-400 delivers superior quality and performance with stunning photos and sharp text for all your everyday projects.
The first thing you notice about this printer is the size. Take a look at it compared to my Epson Artisan printer:
Seriously a space-saving design! It fits perfectly in my desk.
But of course, the true test of a printer is not its size, it’s how it performs, so let’s chat about that.
First, the features from the manufacturer:
- High-quality scanning up to 2400 dpi
- One-touch, standalone color and black and white copying
- Corrects over- and under-exposed digital photos automatically
- Removes red eye with one click
- Restores old, faded, discolored photos back to their original brilliance
- Standalone BorderFree® photo printing in popular sizes and layouts, including 2-up, 4-up or 8-up on a page
- DURABrite Ultra pigment ink produces smudge, fade and water resistance output
- Individual ink cartridges to replace only the color needed
- Standard and high-capacity (XL) black and color ink cartridges accommodate various printing needs Saves up to 50 percent paper supply with manual, two-sided printing
- Eco-friendly features, including ENERGY STAR® qualified, RoHS compliant and designed to be recycled
- Print photos, PC-free — built-in card slots, intuitive touch panel and large 2.5″ color LCD
- Small-in-One printer — space-saving design; great performance
- Wireless printing and scanning — share one printer at home; now with Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ n – connect to your wireless network in seconds
- Quiet operation — focus on what’s important
- Easy setup and control — intuitive touch panel gives you everything you need
- EPSON Connect™ — print and share from anywhere – convenient mobile printing from smartphones, tablets and more2; also supports Apple® AirPrint™ and Google Cloud Print™; visit www.epsonconnect.com
Setup, network installation and computer configuration:
This is probably one of the most easy printers I have ever setup. Remove all the tape, install the ink, set it up wirelessly on your network through the touch pad, install the computer software and away you go! It really was very quick and easy, I was printing within 10 minutes of opening the box. Because it is wireless, it is super easy to get all the computers in the house connected to it.
Printing and ink:
I love that this printer has the option of using XL – high capacity ink cartridges (4 separate ones so you only replace what you need) and while it doesn’t have automatic 2-sided printing to save paper, it does have an option print 2-sided manually.
The print quality and speed is fantastic, Epson just keeps getting better and better.
You can print on a number of different size and quality paper and it accommodates all my personal and small business printing needs. It also has the convenience of being able to print directly from a memory card or camera without a PC. Great for on-the-fly printing.
Scanning is so easy with the touch panel. It is straightforward to use and you can select which computer or memory card you want the scan to get sent to. You can also select to scan to an image, a PDF or even scan into an email, all right from the printer touch panel.
I will miss the feeder on my old Epson that allowed me to scan multiple pages of a document much more easily, but I actually only do that a few times a year so it’s certainly a fair trade off for me because of some of the other features.
Aside from the printer’s size, it has all the quality I have come to expect from an Epson with an extra added feature called Epson Connect. Epson Connect makes it easy to print from tablets, smartphones and more. Once I setup the printer on my network, my iPhone and my iPad found the printer right away. I didn’t need an app or anything, they instantly see the printer and I can print from all the applications that allow printing!
As you can see, it’s a perfect fit in my desk and a perfect fit for my lifestyle. Whether it is pictures of my kids, a document to sign or anything else we happen to need, I know this printer will provide quality results!
You can learn more about my new favorite printer at Epson.com. MSRP is an affordable $99.99.Note: I received the product above in order to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.
Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get updates and great stuff via email including subscriber-only goodies like free printables and giveaways.