Superfoods in Keto are essential due to the reduction in carbohydrates! When you eliminate a large number of foods from your diet, it's natural to see a decrease in essential nutrients. Therefore it is necessary to incorporate a full variety of superfoods in your Keto routine, preferably organic.
What are macronutrients?
Macronutrients or macros for short are carbohydrates, fats, lipids, and proteins. The typical keto macros ratio is 70% fats, 5% carbohydrates, and 25% protein. All 3 macronutrients are crucial to your health and perform important functions in the body.
What are micronutrients?
Micronutrients are essential elements needed by living organisms in tiny amounts to orchestrate several biological functions in the body. These include vitamins and minerals. Some of these include zinc (Zn), chlorine (Cl), vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, polyphenols, boron (B), iron (Fe), copper (Cu), manganese (Mn), molybdenum (Mo). Unlike macronutrients, the human body only needs minimal amounts of micronutrients. As a result, many people fall well short of the recommended daily intake (RDI) of micronutrients . All micronutrients are extremely important for the proper functioning of your body.
What you can eat on Keto?
Popular ingredients include seafood like salmon, non-starchy vegetables like raw spinach, cauliflower, and zucchini, cheese, avocados, meat and poultry, eggs, coconut oil, plain greek yogurt, olive oil, nuts & seeds, berries, butter & cream, coffee & tea, and dark chocolate & cocoa powder. You will notice one commonality between Keto, Whole30, Paleo, and Mediterranean diet. They all contain real, unprocessed, quality ingredients often identified as superfoods.
What are the best superfoods for Keto?
- Turmeric (1 Tbps = 4.42g Carbs) is routinely used to bring life to curry dishes. The compounds in turmeric that offer multiple health benefits are termed as curcuminoids. A tablespoon of turmeric provides roughly 204 mg of curcumin that is vital as a keto food in the diet. According to research, the RDA for Turmeric is 500 mg of curcumin a day for therapeutic benefits. Turmeric and has been touted for its potential to increase the antioxidant Capacity and anti-inflammatory effect of the body. It has therapeutic properties. It boosts the Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor and has been hailed as a natural defense against Alzheimer’s disease and cancer (16).
- Goji berries (1 oz = 5.9g Carbs) are often termed as a superfood because they contain a high level of protein in them and chemical compounds called phytochemicals, some degree of dietary fiber. 28.2 grams of Tibetan Goji berries contain roughly 3.8 grams of carbohydrates, 100 mg of zeaxanthin (antioxidant), 3 grams of protein, vitamin A, selenium, and copper (16).Goji berries are often called a superfood because they contain antioxidants like beta-carotene and chemical compounds like olysaccharides and zeaxanthin (biologically active chemical compounds that help to thwart pathogens and predators). Beta-carotene is beneficial for promoting skin health, eye health, bone health, and cell development. Polysaccharides present in Goji berries are an essential source of dietary fiber. They help increase total antioxidant activity in the body and enhancing the immunity system. Zeaxanthin plays a crucial role in protecting your eyes from developing age-related eye health issues and supporting the immune system.
- Cocoa Powder (1 Tbps = 2.93g Carbs) is considered over dark chocolate as it has a high level of fat. It is a superfood as it is rich in compounds that are beneficial to a person’s health. Cocoa delivers a blast of iron, magnesium, manganese, and zinc--all of which are key to the vital functions of the body (17).
- Grass-fed butter (0 Carbs) is a superfood as it is a good source of vitamin K2, that plays an important role in enhancing bone and heart health. It also contains vitamin A, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) (an omega-6 fatty acid that aids in weight loss), and the antioxidant beta carotene. CLA (fat-fighting power) has been reported to be beneficial in maintaining weight, fighting cancer, preventing bone loss, and helping your body build muscle rather than store fat (18).
- Raspberries (10 = 2.27g Carbs) contain ellagitannins - a type of antioxidant that has anti-inflammatory, anticancer, antioxidant, prebiotic, and cardioprotective effects. They are also a good source of polyphenols and vitamin K, that help increase bone mineral density, reducing your risk of fractures (19).
- Coconut oil (0 Carbs) is a “superfood” because of its unique combination of fatty acids that has positive effects on your health. This fibrous one-seeded drupe is the richest and natural source of partially man-made fats, termed as MCTs (medium-chain triglycerides). MCTs are saturated fats that are absorbed via the lymphatic system. These are continuously absorbed in the portal system and transmitted to the liver, supporting synthesizing of ketones. Besides, coconut has a very light flavor and helps in hydration of skin, moisturizing of hair, and in fighting acne (20).
- Chia Seeds (1 Tbps = 2g Carbs) can deliver a massive amount of nutrients and is an increasingly popular food ingredient. The seeds are a good source of minerals, antioxidants, fiber, α-linolenic acid (an omega-3 fatty acid), and protein prompting claims that chia is a “superfood.” Omega-3 fatty acids present in Chia seeds help raise the ‘good’ cholesterol (HDL cholesterol) that protects against heart attack and stroke. An ounce of chia seeds provides ten grams of fiber, five grams of omega-3 fatty acids, phosphorus, manganese, and magnesium (21).
The best Keto recipes
We have been creating the best low carb and keto recipes since 2008. Many of our recipes been featured on popular websites like BuzzFeed and are considered tried and true with thousands of shares, tries, and comments. Our keto chicken tenders, cilantro lime cauliflower rice, and easy keto lasagna are three of our most popular keto recipes today.
Due to the reduction in Carbohydrates, superfoods play a vital role in a ketogenic diet. When you eliminate a large number of foods from your diet, it's natural to see a decrease in essential nutrients. Which is why it is necessary to incorporate a full variety of superfoods, preferably organic.
Consider an avocado dressing made with olive oil, turmeric, cumin, and gram masala and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. This is an easy way to incorporate superfoods that are nutrient-dense and packed with flavor. It is really that easy!