The number of times I want to cook dinner during the summer is about minus-15. It’s hot out and who wants to turn on the oven? Plus, there are so many other better things to do than to stand in front of a hot stove.
- Like sitting on the deck with a glass of wine and a good book.
- Like running through the sprinkler with my kids.
- Like having a water balloon fight.
- Like hunting for Pokemon.
- Like taking the dogs for a walk.
Honestly even washing the car or mowing the lawn is more fun than cooking during the summer. Plus I have a garden full of fresh veggies that it would be a shame to waste. My lettuce has been growing wonderfully so I have been storing it in the fridge in my Rubbermaid® Freshworks™ Produce Saver containers.
If you remember, I have been sharing how I use Rubbermaid Freshworks containers in my daily life, and sharing some delicious recipes too. You can find my previous articles here:
- What’s in Season? – Keeping Produce Fresher Longer
- How Long do Your Strawberries Last?
- How to Store Produce so it Stays Fresher Longer
- Keeping Produce Fresh is Critical for a Healthy Lifestyle
- 4th Of July Patriotic Flag Berry Trifle
So, in keeping with my lack of desire to cook yet still eat healthy, I came up with this delicious summer salad hack that makes it super easy to enjoy a delicious salad for lunch or dinner without having to sacrifice my outdoor time.
What you need:
- Rubbermaid® Freshworks™ containers
- Medium sized mason jars.
- Southwest salad fixins (see recipe below)
- Creamy avocado dressing (see recipe below)
This “hack” involves using the Rubbermaid® Freshworks™ containers to keep your lettuce fresh all week and mason jars so that the rest of your salad ingredients are ready to go. All you need to do is pour them onto your lettuce, add dressing and enjoy!
- ¼ cup corn kernels (I used frozen fire-roasted corn that I allowed to thaw)
- ¼ cup black beans
- ¼ cup cut tomatoes
- ¼ cup cut cucumbers
- ¼ cup diced chicken (optional)
- 3-4 tortilla chips (optional)
- 1 small avocado
- ½ cup full fat sour cream
- Juice from 2 limes
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp minced onion
- ¼ cup water
- Assemble the salad jar ingredients with the heaviest ingredients on the bottom. Add lids and store in fridge until ready to eat.
- Blend all of the ingredients in a blender until combined. Refrigerate until ready to enjoy. Will last a couple of days in the fridge.
Homemade dressing is so easy to make, and tastes better than any store-bought. If you love avocado, you will really enjoy this dressing. Up the chili powder or add a splash of hot sauce for a spicier taste.
I love making these jars up every couple of days so I can easily grab a salad without a lot of fuss.
I don’t have to worry about my lettuce being fresh thanks to my Rubbermaid® Freshworks™ containers!
It’s easy to assemble a salad this way!
My husband especially loved this combination of ingredients.
Full of crunch, full of flavor, healthy and super easy to make.
It’s like a healthy taco!
Don’t forget to pin this on Pinterest for later.
Rubbermaid FreshWorks™ Produce Saver containers use revolutionary FreshVent™ technology to keep produce fresher up to 80% longer compared to store packaging. They come in three sizes: Small: $9.99; Medium: $12.99; Large: $15.99 and are dishwasher safe and BPA free. The Rubbermaid CrispTray™ raises the produce up and away from moisture and helps promote proper airflow to help prevent spoiling. The revolutionary FreshVent™ Technology in the containers is patented membrane that naturally regulates the flow of O2 and CO2 and creates an optimal environment to keep your produce nearly as fresh as the day you picked it from your garden.