Things have been pretty, pretty Halloween-y around here. I did a post on Spooktacular Halloween Cocktails, which made me want to try some. But, the problem I have with some cocktails is that they are tooooo sweet. If I could find a savory little something to pair with a cocktail, I would be a happy girl.
I started with this recipe for 4 Ingredient Homemade Cheese Crackers from Cooking Light. I tweaked the recipe by using Cinnamon Chipotle Butter to give it a smoky and spicy flavor, and came up with these Spooky Spicy Crackers.
Spooky Spicy Crackers
These crackers are super easy to make, and I used these vintage cookie cutters make them more spooky.
Owls and witches’ brooms!
The dough comes together in under ten minutes. It’s so easy with a food processor. Start by putting the butter and shredded cheese into the food processor and pulsing until they are combined.
Add the flours (one at a time), and process until the mix is crumbly.
Add the water, and process until the dough forms a large ball. Refrigerate for one hour, roll out, and bake. Now all you need is your sweet cocktail and you are set for some Halloween fun!
Don’t forget to pin this on Pinterest!
Spooky Spicy Crackers for Halloween
- 4 tbsp. Cinnamon Chipotle Butter cold
- 8 oz. extra sharp cheese shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. cold water
- Cut the butter into small pieces and place into food processor bowl. Add shredded cheese and black pepper. Pulse until combined.
- Add the whole wheat flour and pulse until incorporated, then add the all-purpose flour. Process until mixture is crumbly.
- Pour in cold water and process until mixture forms a large ball.
- Split dough into two rounds, flatten into disks, wrap each in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375, and roll out one disk of dough. It should be about 1/8" or less. Cut using cookie cutters or into squares with a knife.
- Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Using a toothpick, poke at least one hole in each cracker.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove and let cool on baking racks.
- For a more spicy cracker, add 1/2 - 1 tsp. chipotle puree to the butter and shredded cheese before you process for the first time.
- For a more salty and savory cracker, sprinkle this Seasoning Salt onto the crackers before baking.
- Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days; but they are best the day of baking.