Have you had enough salads and cold food? Well, the good news is fall is just around the corner! And to celebrate it, you can cook this savory low carb beef stew to warm your heart a bit. Plus it happens to be keto-friendly!
Chunky pieces of savory meat and hearty spices perfectly combined to welcome the harvest season and the perfect low carb meal. Grab the low carb beef stew recipe!
💭 Quick Tips
When the meat is seared, which means cooked at a high temperature over dry heat, it undergoes something called the Maillard reaction. Browning meat creates a "searing" effect, which means the flavor will be sealed in by creating a delicious flavor-packed crust on the meat's surface. Let me give you a tip to get a perfect browned meat: Don't hesitate to turn the heat on!
Add some spices, preferably fresh local or organic spices!
Did you know oregano is a natural antibiotic and antioxidant? It has many benefits. You can find more about it at your local spice shop or even Amazon's single herbs and spices section.
Now, for the last step, why add Xantan gum? Well, you know low carb diets and to keep this keto-friendly we avoid using wheat flours, regularly used to thicken soups and gravies. That's where Xantan helps. I use it as an excellent wheat flour option to give this mouth-watering low carb recipe a bit of added thickness. Mix the Xantan bit by bit and stir well after each mix.
🔪 How to make
1. Prep those veggies!
2. Prepare and add the stew meat to your instapot. Or pre sear in your favorite pan or skillet.
3. Add in 1 tbsp of olive oil, and your stew meat, and saute until browned well. Add salt and pepper and I recommend trying Himalayan sea salt and freshly ground pepper for an extra boost.
4. Mix in the minced garlic, bay leaves, oregano and thyme, and continue cooking for another minute.
5. Stir in the onions, butternut squash, green beans, and turnips.
5. Pour in the beef broth.
6. Mix in the worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar, stirring to combine.
7. Add in the diced tomatoes.
8. Close the lid on the Instant Pot, and select 30 minutes on the “soup” option.
Now you are ready to enjoy this fantastic beef stew recipe!
This is a great time to add this to your low carb recipe book, don’t you think? Plus it’s fun to save on Pinterest or share with your friends on social media looking for similar recipes.
Low Carb Beef Stew
- 2 lbs stew meat - ideally organic grass fed
- 1 cup pumpkin - chopped (or butternut squash)
- 4 small turnips - chopped
- ½ onion - diced
- 1 cup green beans - sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil - cold pressed
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 4 c beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup tomatoes - diced
- Turn the instant pot to Saute, and wait until it comes to heat.
- Add in 1 tbsp of olive oil, and your stew meat, and saute until browned well. Add salt and pepper to taste to the meat.
- Mix in the minced garlic, bay leaves, oregano and thyme, and continue cooking for another minute.
- Stir in the onions, butternut squash, green beans and turnips.
- Pour in the beef broth.
- Mix in the worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar, stirring to combine.
- Add in the diced tomatoes.
- Close the lid on the Instant Pot, and select 30 minutes on the “soup” option.
? Share the yummy-ness! ?
(I love seeing them all!!)