Family holiday traditions.
Some are weird.
Some are boring.
Some are just plain crazy, wacky and fun.
Or, they start out weird or boring and something happens that makes them fun.
But we’ve all got something that we do year in and year out.
My family doesn’t do anything particularly wacky during the holidays, but inevitably we end up having a lot of fun. Most of our traditions revolve around watching movies like Home For the Holidays, A Christmas Story and National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. While we’ve never ended up eating Chinese duck instead of turkey or destroying our Christmas tree, we do have our very own ‘Griswald’ moments every now and then.
One of the things that inevitably ends up causing laughter are my attempts at contributing to the menu.
A few years ago I found a recipe for an awesome looking cake in a magazine so I cut it out and was determined to make it for our family Christmas dinner.
It was supposed to look like this:
It turned out like this:
Notice the coaster propping up the tray? Yeah it sort of leaned to one side…
There was plenty of mocking and laughter. Those that were too polite to laugh could be seen staring at it with their head slightly angled to one side.
And only one brave soul was man enough to eat any of it, my husband’s uncle.
So now, any time I attempt to cook or bake anything for the holidays, we remember back and talk about this cake and laugh. Well, they laugh…I’m still a bit bitter about the whole thing. So I guess my wacky, crazy tradition is creating epic food #FAIL projects.
Sam’s Club is gearing up for the holidays and is asking YOU to share your fun and crazy holiday traditions, and they are offering up two great prizes in the process.
Sam’s Club Holiday Traditions Contest
Enter one of two ways:
Submit a video
Submit a written story
Your entry should be:
a funny/wacky video or essay which addresses “Holiday Traditions and/or Holiday stories”
Video Submission Grand Prize
Essay Submission Grand Prize
|26” Magnavox LCD 720p HDTV|
S3000 12MP Digital Camera
How to Submit
To submit a video:
- File format of an uploaded video must be .MP4 or .WMV
- Each video entry must be a maximum three (3) minutes in length
- Video submissions are to made to: Rockfish Fileshare Site using this email address as the receivers email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To submit an essay:
- File format of an essay must be .doc, .pdf or .txt
- Each essay entry has a maximum length of 200 words
- Essay submissions are to made to: email@example.com directly by email
- If you are having trouble figuring out the file share, check out Rhea’s instructions
Please include your name, address, phone number and email address in the ‘optional comments’ box when you submit the form if submitting a video and in your email if submitting an essay so you can be contacted if you are chosen as the winner.
There will be one winner for the video category and one for the essay category. However, ALL the entries have a chance to be featured on the Sam’s Club Holiday Traditions microsite which launches around 10/28. So even if you don’t win a cool prize, you might get your 15 minutes of fame. Pretty cool!
- All contest submissions must be received by 11:59pm EST on October 22nd.
- Contest is open and offered only to legal residents of the 50 United States and Washington D.C., who are 18 years of age and older as of October 13, 2010.
- Each entry must not, in the sole and unfettered judgment of the Sponsor, contain any sexually explicit, disparaging, libelous or other inappropriate content or nudity.
- Each entry must not contain any act that is considered dangerous, in the sole and unfettered judgment of the Sponsor.
- Each entry must not contain any copyrights or trademarks of any competitors’ property or entity.
- Each entry will be judged by a qualified judge or panel of judges appointed by the Sponsor, whose decisions are final, based on the following criteria: Humor (50%), Innovation and Creativity (25%), Originality (25%).
- Make sure you read the official contest Terms & Conditions for the complete rules.
Please leave a comment and let me know if you enter or plan to enter, I’d love to keep track so when they pick the winners I can know if they learned about the contest through my blog!
Sam’s Club provided me with compensation for my participation in the Holiday Traditions Video Campaign
Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.