One of the biggest expenses we face as a family is our food budget. We have a reasonable mortgage payment. No car payments. Average utility bills. We don’t have cable. I don’t get manicures or have my hair did (grammar intentional). We rarely eat out. We don’t spend frivolously.
But our monthly grocery bill often seems to rival that of a small country. I have an 11 year old son who wears a men’s size 10 shoe, which means the appetite levels way exceed the number of people actually living here.
Which is why I love shopping at ALDI. ALDI has quality food at great prices – even the natural and organic foods that I insist upon for my family. In order to show you how much you can save at ALDI, Bon Appetite has challenged me to create a recipe for my family of four for under $10 using ALDI ingredients.
I headed out to ALDI with my $10 in hand without any notion of what I was going to make. ALDI always has new and different natural and organic items so I figured I would let inspiration strike once I saw what they had available for me to choose from. And strike it did!
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 4 Italian style sausages (approx 3 oz each)
- 1 - 8oz package of white mushrooms
- 1 4 oz package garlic & herb goat cheese
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using 1 tsp of olive oil, brush a small area for each sausage on the parchment paper to keep it from sticking.
- Lay out the prosciutto flat and set a sausage on one end of it. Using ¼ of the goat cheese, flatten it as much as possible next to the sausage then roll everything up. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Place on baking sheet. Repeat for each sausage.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until prosciutto edges are slightly crispy.
- In a small bowl combine minced garlic and ? cup olive oil.
- Wash mushrooms and cut stems off flush with mushroom.
- Place mushrooms on baking sheet.
- Carefully spoon oil & garlic mixture in equal parts over each mushroom trying to keep the garlic on the mushroom as much as possible. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees or until browned, basting each mushroom with extra olive oil as needed.
This is a quick and easy recipe that tastes way more gourmet than anyone would ever expect. I actually impressed myself. I suppose I have to give some credit to the ingredients I bought at ALDI.
The mushrooms were almost too cute to eat. Almost.
I couldn’t have been happier about the delicious gourmet meal I made for my family using natural ALDI ingredients, all for only $10! I love shopping at ALDI for these reasons, my daughter loves it because she likes putting the quarter in the shopping cart, and getting to keep it when we are done shopping and return the cart. That’s just one of the ways ALDI can offer quality products at such great prices!
Do you shop at ALDI? Have you ever noticed all of the natural and organic options they carry?
Thank you Bon Appétit and ALDI for sponsoring this recipe challenge.