A couple of weeks ago I had 2 sweet potatoes sitting on my counter and I had a craving for pasta. So I typed “sweet potato pasta” into the search engine and Voila! I found a recipe that looked good and sounded good and I had most of the ingredients on hand for.
I made it and all the kids liked it and even my mother-in-law and sister-in-law who happened to be here (they tried to leave when they heard I was doing the cooking) liked it. At least they ate it without making faces and claimed to like it.
This recipe is fairly quick and easy and while it does contain oil and cheese it is fairly healthy option for a family dinner, especially if you use whole wheat pasta and goes a long way.
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil (I used extra virgin)
- 3 leeks (I used green onions)
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary (I used dried – 1/2 to 3/4 tbsp)
- 14 oz pasta (using whole wheat really adds to the great fiber content in this dish)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 oz feta
- 8 oz baby spinach leaves (I didn’t have any spinach)
- cracked black pepper
- grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel & dice the sweet potatoes.
- Toss potatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Spread potatoes on baking sheet (probably want non-stick spray) and roast for 30 minutes until browned and soft.
- In a skillet on medium heat, place the oil, leeks & rosemary and cook for about 7 minutes until the leeks are soft and golden.
- Cook pasta per package directions and drain.
- Combine pasta, sweet potatoes, oil mixture (with leeks & rosemary), butter & feta.
- Toss until fully combined.
- Serve over spinach leaves and sprinkle with grated parmesan & black pepper.
I didn’t have spinach, and didn’t mention not having it and my mother-in-law said it was good but would be even better with spinach.
original recipe found at: http://www.sidewalkshoes.com/2009/11/pasta-with-roast-sweet-potato-and-pasta.html
Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get updates and great stuff via email including subscriber-only goodies like free printables and giveaways.