So many people have horror stories about their in-laws. I cringe sometimes hearing people tell me about some of the things their in-laws have said or done, and I am very thankful that my in-laws are decidedly NOT “Monster In-Laws”.
But for every person like me who has a good relationship with their in-laws, there are probably way more that do not.
A&E’s show “Monster In-Laws” takes you behind the scenes in those families so you can see just how bad some in-laws really are.
Each episode features a different family in dire straits, one spouse is at their wit’s end, caught in the middle between their loudmouth relatives and the person they married. Using tough love and unconventional tactics, seasoned relationship experts bring everyone under one roof and force them to uncover the deeper issues that lay beneath the constant fighting.
The new season of “Monster In-Laws” airs on May 28th with a double header!
SEASON 2 EPISODE DESCRIPTIONS
MONDAY, MAY 28 AT 10PM ET/PT
The Bojanowski Family (Update) – Under Khalood’s Roof
After working through their issues last season, Fallon and Steve got married and moved in with Fallon’s mom Khalood in Michigan to save money. But Khalood is up to her old tricks again and things have gone from bad to worse, as Khalood will do anything to convince Fallon to get an annulment. The couple calls in family expert Mel Robbins to save both their marriage and their relationship with Khalood, but when an accident occurs during one of Mel’s exercises the entire family is put to the test.
Ep 14 – DeArmond Family – “Grandma’s Dying Wish”
Linda is known for her brutal honesty, and though nobody is safe from her wrath – including her own granddaughters – no one is a more frequent target than daughter-in-law Michelle. Husband Jim’s grandmother is ill and wants to see the family reconcile before it’s too late. It’s up to Laura Baron to help the family fulfill grandma’s dying wish.
I have never seen this show before but after watching the trailer I think I’ll be adding it to my “must-watch” list. If anything it makes me truly appreciate my own in-laws!
Take a look at the trailer:
Now, like I said, I don’t have “Monster In-Laws” but that doesn’t mean I can’t offer you some pointers for dealing with yours if you have one.
My top 5 tips for dealing with “Monster In-Laws”
- Distraction Technique: If your in-laws are being particularly nit-picky or critical, bring up “the crazy aunt or uncle”. Everyone has one that no one likes to talk about. You will shut that room up in 2 seconds flat. Instead of focusing on your “flaws” they will sit in uncomfortable silence, or ideally, leave the room.
- Hit and Run: Tired of your spouse not defending you to their in-laws despite their repeated criticism? When everyone is gathered together and you feel particularly cornered, say something like “did ‘Bob’ tell you about that thing on his …ummm..” and then quickly excuse yourself to the bathroom (or the liquor cabinet).
- Free Babysitting: Got in-laws who criticize your child-rearing? Let them take over. Appeal to their sense of righteousness by insisting that the children need their guidance. Drop the kids off and go to the mall. Or better yet, go home and take a nap.
- Laundromat: Does your mother-in-law treat your husband like he is still a child (and he likes it)? Drop his laundry off every week. Heck, drop the whole family’s laundry off, she probably wouldn’t even notice.
- The Last Laugh: When all else fails, laugh hysterically. For as long as it takes. About nothing at all. Nothing gets an irritating person to stop what they are doing like laughter they can’t explain. They will become paranoid and hopefully leave.
Now I know most of those appealed to your sense of humor, but “Monster In-Laws” is about more than entertainment. “Monster In-laws” actually tries to help get to the bottom of the issues that cause these family problems, and hopefully help solve them with the help of a relationship coach and a mental health expert.
The trailer showed us some of the most crazy moments – and holy cow, crazy puts it mildly, but when you watch the season premiere, you will see the efforts to try and repair the skewed relationships which should help viewers in similar situations learn to deal with their own in-law issues.
To help you relax so that you can better deal with your own “Monster In-Laws”, A&E has provided me with a $150 SpaFinder GC to give away to one lucky reader. WOW! What a great way to unwind and get away from all the craziness.
ENTER TO WIN A $150 SPAFINDER GIFT CARD
To enter, leave a comment on this post with an answer to the following:
What is YOUR best tip for dealing with “Monster In-Laws”?
Then click “do it” for your mandatory entry and proceed on to the optional entries.
Please leave a separate comment for EACH extra entry indicating that you performed the required entry. Provide links to Tweet, etc. as required for the entry.
Giveaway is open to the USA and ends on May 28, 2012 at noon CST. Winners will be selected at random from all eligible entries and will be contacted by email. Winners will have 48 hrs to respond. Please add email@example.com to your trusted email filter. If original winner does not claim their prize within 48 hrs, it is forfeit and a new winner will be selected promptly.
Note: I received compensation from A&E to share this promotion. Prize provided by A&E. Opinions expressed are my own.
No purchase necessary to enter or win. Odds of winning are not increased by a purchase.
Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get updates and great stuff via email including subscriber-only goodies like free printables and giveaways.