This low carb Malibu Chicken recipe is an easy weeknight dinner. Made with boneless chicken, low carb breadcrumbs, ham, Swiss cheese and a delicious sauce. Malibu Chicken was made originally famous by Sizzler, and this recipe is a Sizzler Malibu chicken copycat but a keto version.
Check out Sizzler's original commercial for Malibu Chicken from the 80's.
Sizzler Malibu Chicken is basically like chicken cordon bleu but not stuffed. Instead the ham, cheese and sauce is on top of breaded chicken. Malibu chicken is one of Sizzler's most popular dishes to this day, and for good reason, it's delicious. But the breading makes it not-so-fit for a low carb or ketogenic diet, at least the way Sizzler makes it. But pork rind breadcrumbs, Sizzler's malibu chicken is amazing!
I don't think I ever had the Sizzler version, but I remember back in my 20's, I had a friend who would make this all the time for dinner. We were both single and I swear it was probably the only thing he knew how to make, but I didn't care, free dinner was free dinner. And it was really good too. I do remember that he used to use those frozen breaded chicken patties, so it wasn't completely a from scratch recipe, but it was still good. With the combination of flavors in Malibu chicken, you just can't go wrong.
What I love about low carb chicken recipes is that it is so easy to convert a regular recipe into a keto or low carbohydrate recipe just by changing up a few ingredients. Replacing breading with pork rind breadcrumbs, utilizing stevia or a stevia blend instead of sugar.
Malibu Chicken - Easy Low Carb Recipe
This recipe starts with an overnight marinade. I always find chicken to be better that way. It's help make it far more flavorful. You can skip the marinade if you want, but I always feel like chicken turns out better after being in a marinade.
Then you will dredge the chicken in the low carb breadcrumbs.
Bake the coated chicken, then add the cheese and ham and bake again.
Top with some parsley for color.
And enjoy! You can pour the Malibu sauce over the chicken or dip the chicken into the sauce.
For the Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 eggs - beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (pork rinds)
- 8 slices of thin deli ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese
For the Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup mayo
- 3 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-½ tablespoon yellow mustard
- ¼ teaspoon stevia
- Add the eggs, garlic and onion together and pour oven chicken (in a plastic bag or a shallow dish). Marinade overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put breadcrumbs in a shallow dish and remove then dredge each piece of chicken in the breadcrumbs until coated on both sides.
- Set chicken in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked to 165 degrees.
- Remove from oven, place two slices of ham and one slice of cheese on each piece of chicken.
- Return to oven and cook another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Pin this on Pinterest! Use one of these images or the images above: