In my house,
my kids are I am very picky about certain things in my food.The onion thing has really been tricky for us. Onion powder usually does not replace onions in a recipe - ever. It just does not taste the same.
The recipe below was adapted and improvised from 2 different recipes I discovered, neither of which would fly in my house because of the chunks of onion and peppers.
It's easy to make plus it's kid friendly and picky adult friendly. And it tastes great too!
I used my keto taco seasoning mixture for this recipe which is very versatile and can be used with tacos, chili, sloppy joes and more!
I was not overly optimistic that these would taste that great because I didn't use real onions but they were really, really good. I went with the ½ cup ketchup and they were quite crumbly so if you want them more sticky, I would definitely increase it.
Kid Friendly Sloppy Joes Recipe
- Brown ground beef in a skillet.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper during browning.
- Remove from heat.
- Add water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes and taco seasoning to beef mixture and stir.
- Cook until boiling, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.