Regardless of the weather, this keto shepherd’s pie is one of the best casserole dishes. Super delicious, easy to make, and feeds a crowd with minimal effort.
The Perfect Keto Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Cauliflower and Ground Beef
Are you looking for the best keto casserole? Are you looking for one of the best meals to serve a small crowd? Then look no further than this keto shepherd’s pie. Rather than a mashed potato topping, the cauliflower and meat casserole is all flavor without the carbs. It is one of those dishes that even non-keto lovers will come back for seconds.
Sometimes referred to as the cottage pie, this keto shepherd’s pie is made of a delicious layer of meat sauce made with ground beef and lamb. When it comes to making the actual shepherd’s pie, the process easy. The only thing you need to do for the entire keto dish is swap a few ingredients for low-carb ones, like cauliflower for mashed potatoes and green beans instead of peas. The cauliflower is mashed with cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese to make the pie extra cheesy and creamy. Beef stock is added to the meaty layer for a rich taste and heartiness that will satisfy everyone. The bubbly cauliflower topping tastes so much better that you will not even miss the potatoes.
What You Need To Make Keto Shepherd’s Pie
A dish is just as good as the ingredients you use and how you put them all together. And it’s no different with this keto shepherd’s pie. What’s even better is that most of the ingredients can be made two or three days before. Then all you need to add on the day of is the cauliflower.
Choose The Right Ingredients
This keto shepherd’s pie recipe is a low carb meal that is easy to make. To make the meaty layer, you will need:
- 1 lb. Ground lamb
- ½ lb. Ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 C. Chopped onion
- 2 tsp. Minced garlic
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ C. Beef stock
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1 C. Green beans cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into florets
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 3 oz. Cream cheese
- 1 C. Shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish if desired
The Meat Layer
When making a shepherd’s pie, the meaty layer is the most important, and you need to get it just right. While I love the traditional pie keto shepherd with ground lamb, I like the combination of ground lamb and beef better. If you are more adventurous, you can even add ground pork or ground turkey. I am positive it will taste amazing regardless of the exact meat blend.
The Mashed Cauliflower Layer
The mashed cauliflower is the base of the shepherd’s pie recipe. The traditional recipe calls for potatoes. However, one of my favorite things about this keto-friendly shepherd’s pie is the ability to substitute that with a delicious cream cheese cauliflower topping. The cauliflower adds so much flavor that you won’t even tell the difference with a mashed potato cottage pie.
How To Make The Best Tasting Keto Shepherd’s Pie
As far as keto recipes are concerned, this keto shepherd’s pie, also known as cottage pie, should be at the top of your list. Like our famous bottom round roast, this keto shepherd’s pie tastes fantastic, is easy to make, and serves a crowd.
About 5 minutes before my Shepherd’s Pie is ready, I switch the oven to broil. I absolutely love a nice brown and even slightly crunchy cheese.
How to Make Meat Sauce
For the best keto Sheppard’s pie, you need to get the meat sauce right. In a skillet, add a tablespoon of olive oil, chopped onions, minced garlic, and cook over medium-high heat. Add your ground meat and then sauté until the meat is fully browned and the onions have softened. Mix in the Italian seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Drain away any excess fat and then go ahead and stir in the Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and beef stock to the meat mixture. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes and then toss in the chopped green beans. While that is cooking, you can go ahead and start preparing your cauliflower mash.
How to Make Mashed Cauliflower
Since this is a keto recipe, ditch the potatoes for cauliflower. Start by placing your cauliflower florets in a pot of salted water and then bring to a boil over medium-high heat until the florets are fork-tender. Once they are done, strain the florets to remove excess water. You can even place them on paper towels to drain the water completely. Transfer them into a blender or food processor if you have one. Add in your cream cheese, butter, salt, and pepper, and then puree on high to a smooth and creamy consistency.
How to Layer & Bake the Shepherd’s Pie
Now on to the best part – the layering and baking! When you have everything set and ready, start by preheating your oven to 400°F or 200°C. Transfer your meaty sauce mixture into a baking dish and spread it evenly along the bottom. Top the mixture with your cauliflower spreading it with a spoon to the edges. Next, sprinkle a cup of cheddar cheese on top of the mashed cauliflower. Bake at 400°F or 200°C until the pureed cauliflower florets have browned. Usually, the overall cook time is around 40 minutes or until the pie is hot and bubbly. Remove from the oven, and garnish with parsley if desired. Since the pie will still be hot, leave it on a pan to cool before you slice and serve. Enjoy!
Other Keto Ingredients For A Tasty Shepherd’s Pie
When it comes to a keto casserole recipe, avoid using starchy vegetables especially, if you are on a strict ketogenic diet. Consider using green beans. With that in mind, other ingredients that you can use and still have a delicious shepherd’s pie include bell pepper, garlic, mushrooms, radishes, and rutabaga.
Making a Classic Shepherd’s Pie
To make a classic comfort food, take a peek at this traditional shepherd’s pie recipe with potatoes, carrots, and fresh rosemary. Today’s goal is comfort food, minus the carbs, and I am happy knowing you’ll love my keto shepherd’s pie.
Storage Instructions for Keto Shepherd’s Pie
How Do You Store a Shepherd’s Pie?
Slice the leftovers into smaller pieces, store them in airtight containers, and put them in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Can You Freeze A Shepherd’s Pie?
You can freeze your dish for up to three months. When you want to serve, just reheat the leftovers in the microwave for a few minutes. To reheat a cooked shepherd’s pie that has been frozen, thaw the pieces in the refrigerator and then reheat them individually in a microwave. If you want to reheat the whole thing, just place it on your stove for half an hour. You can preheat our oven to 400°F or 200°C, which will help unthaw your frozen casserole. Then just pop it in the oven for about 4o minutes and enjoy.
What Do You Serve With Shepherd’s Pie?
The dish is a complete meal by itself, so there isn’t much accompaniment to go around. If you really need to accompany it with a side dish, a simple side salad or garlic broccoli will do.
This Keto Shepherd’s Pie is the ultimate comfort food that everyone will enjoy for years to come. And since it only takes 15 minutes of prep, it is a super easy no hassle casserole dish. Give it a try and let us know in the comments or Pinterest.
Keto Shepherd's Pie
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Cup white onion chopped
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup green beans cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium cauliflower cut into florets
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper to taste
- parsley to garnish
- Place the oven rack in middle and preheat to 400°F or 200°C.
- Place the cauliflower florets into a pot of salted water, and boil over medium-high heat until fork tender.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, place the chopped onion and minced garlic in a skillet with one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat on the stove.
- Add the meat to the skillet, and saute until the meat is fully browned and the onion is softened.
- Drain away any excess fat. Mix in the Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock to the meat mixture, and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Toss in the green beans.
- Place the meat mixture into the bottom layer of your casserole dish.
- Strain the cauliflower florets of the excess water, and place them into a blender or food processor. Use whatever method is the easiest for you!
- Add the butter and cream cheese as well as salt and pepper to the cauliflower, and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust as necessary!
- Top the meat mixture in the baking dish with the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of cheddar cheese onto the top of the mashed cauliflower in the baking dish.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
- Optional, broil for 5 minutes. (Note 1)
- Broil your Keto Shepherd's Pie for 5 minutes. If your like me, broiling anything topped with cheese for a few minutes at the end of the recipe helps create a nice golden brown crust.
- Rosemary is your friend and will certainly elevate this recipe. Rosemary and thyme are very popular seasonings in meat and specifically comfort food.