I love bread. I really do. But it doesn’t like me and frankly I have read enough about the potential damage to our bodies from gluten that I very rarely indulge.
But that doesn’t mean I don’t miss the taste of bread.
The texture of it.
Slathering a thick, warm slice of it with butter and watching it melt as I take a bite.
The emotionally satisfying feeling I get as it fills my belly.
I clearly have this whole bread thing under control….
It helps to have an alternative.
It’s not quite the same as a warm and flaky loaf of Italian or sourdough bread, but it will certainly distract me enough to think I am eating corn bread with my chili.
This bread is sweet, moist and totally grain-free.
Grain-free "Corn Bread"
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter a 9"x9" casserole dish or line with parchment paper
- Melt butter, let cool slightly and then blend completely with coconut flour
- Add the eggs and combine
- Add in the baking soda, applesauce, honey & eggs
- Stir mixture until lumps are gone
- Pour into casserole dish and spread evenly across entire dish
- Bake for 20-25 minutes - top will be browned and a toothpick will come out clean
- Cut into 6-9 square pieces and serve warm or room temperature
The texture of this bread is similar to pound cake, which I usually find to be true of grain-free based breads but the applesauce adds a moistness and lightness that makes it much more palatable. If you want to forgo the honey, you can simply use 4 tbsp of applesauce. It might not be quite as sweet, however. I have found that the more honey, the sweeter it is.
And my brain is fooled, at least for a little while.