Massel Bouillon and Seasoning sponsored this post and provided me with products to use in the recipes; however, the opinions I share in this post are my own.
January is National Soup Month, and to help Massel Bouillon celebrate their 31 Days of Soup, I am sharing a second soup recipe this month. My first soup was a Gluten-Free Spicy Sausage & Bean soup, and this time I tackled a creamy soup that is a personal favorite – broccoli cheddar.
It was delicious!
- 6 tbsp butter
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp minced onion or 1 small onion (diced)
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cube Massel chicken style bouillon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 sm head of broccoli chopped into small pieces
- 2½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a dutch oven or stock pot and then add the onion and cook until tender, just a couple of minutes.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for about 3-4 minutes until golden, then add in the whole milk until combined.
- Add in the vegetable broth, nutmeg, salt, pepper and Massel Bouillon.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered until thick, around 20 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli and continue to simmer until tender (another 20 minutes or so).
- Add in the cheese and stir until combined.
- Remove from heat and serve.
This was thick & creamy and perfect for a cold day. It was filling enough for a meal although you could serve it with some gluten-free bread or rolls.