I’m a big fan of all-in-one style dinners. I like to be able to cook everything, toss it together and serve. It makes it easier to deal with the kids claiming they don’t want a particular item (say…veggies) because it’s all mixed in, they have no choice.
I’m the type of cook who looks at what is in the fridge, freezer and pantry and scours the web for a recipe, then I modify based upon our needs, what I have on hand, and our personal tastes. The other day I had some Smart Chicken Organic Sweet Apple Sausage in the freezer and some peas. I thought maybe I could make a pasta without red sauce but also without the 4,000 calories per serving some cream sauces have and I stumbled across this recipe: Sausage & Penne in Garlic Olive Oil.
It fit the bill rather perfectly with a few minor modifications, and it was really, really good. The only issue with it was that it was too spicy for my wimpy kids, although my niece ate it and asked for more. So in the future I will cut the red pepper flakes in half – at least.
But overall it was so flavorful and the sweet sausage, basil and peas complimented the garlic and red pepper perfectly.
Very flavorful pasta dish in an olive oil and garlic sauce.
- 4-5 links Sweet Italian Sausage (any sweet variety should do)
- 16 oz box of penne pasta (or your favorite type)
- 2-6 tbsp olive oil divided
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced onions
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (this is very spicy, might want to cut back)
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- Small package of frozen peas (or your favorite vegetable or vegetable medley)
- 1 tsp pepper or garlic pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Pour frozen peas into a bowl with hot water (water should cover peas completely) and set aside.
- Cook sausage in skillet w/ approx 1/2 cup of water. Cook until brown (you might need to add another 1/2 cup water during cooking. Add a third 1/2 cup water to pan, cover and cook over low heat until sausage is cooked through.
- Slice sausage into desired sized pieces and set aside.
- Cook pasta as directed.
- While pasta is cooking saute minced garlic and minced onions in 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Add remaining herbs (red pepper flakes, basil, salt & pepper) to garlic & onion mixture plus the cut up sausage and continue cooking over low heat, stirring frequently. Add additional olive oil as necessary.
- Drain peas and add to sausage and herb mixture. Continue stirring until peas are heating through and everything is thoroughly combined.
- Drain pasta and return to pan.
- Add sausage mixture to pasta and toss or stir to coat. Add remaining olive oil as needed.
If you don’t like peas, I think you could substitute any number of vegetables in this dish.
Which veggie would you use?
Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get updates and great stuff via email including subscriber-only goodies like free printables and giveaways.