In the world of Twitter, there seems to be this drive to obtain as many followers as you can in a short amount of time. It’s almost obsessive the way people focus more on gaining new followers than they do on actually using Twitter for social networking and connecting with people.
Personally, I don’t know how anyone keeps up with 30,000 people, I certainly don’t keep up with even half of the 2700 people I follow. Some people use Twitter to spam people, I use it to network, and advertising is MUCH different from networking.
So I made a list.
10 reasons that I don’t follow back someone who follows me on Twitter
1. You follow thousands of people yet have only Tweeted once. Yeah, I learned a long time ago how to identify one-sided relationships. It was called dating. I don’t need to do it anymore.
2. Your profile picture is not personalized – it is the Twitter default avatar. As cute as the bird is, I doubt you ARE a bird, and if you are, I ain’t following you anyway.
3. Your profile picture is of a half-naked woman. Only an idiot invites spam porn Tweets.
4. You are following thousands of people yet have only a couple of followers. Either ya smell funny or you spent the last 12 hours following people instead of having a life. Either way, I’m avoiding you.
5. You promise to help people make a ton of money online. You might be a con artist if…..
6. You don’t appear to actually talk to people, merely advertise your blog, product or service – over and over and over. You might be a spammer if…..
7. You sent me an auto-dm welcoming me as a follower and suggesting I visit your site, so I unfollowed you because you are annoying. Don’t do it. Send a Tweet. Thank me that way, add me to your #FF, but don’t send me a commercial via DM. It’s rude.
8. We have nothing in common. I’m sorry, I’m just not as into rap music as you seem to be.
9. We don’t speak the same language. I got English. That’s it. Not Spanish, not Polish, and not even pig latin.
10. You ask me to vote for you in some online contest even though I just started following you yesterday and I’ve never even exchanged pleasantries with you. So yeah, I unfollowed you because you are annoying. And rude. And obnoxious.
Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get updates and great stuff via email including subscriber-only goodies like free printables and giveaways.