My husband is the king of the grill. He is the cook in our family to begin with, and when it comes to grilling he really seems to enjoy cooking like a man – outside over an open flame.
We actually got a grill as a wedding gift almost 11 years ago, I believe from my parents. We had that grill through last winter when it finally just would not even stand up anymore. It was one of those traditional round black grills on a stand and it was being propped up with a concrete block. It had definitely been through a lot. A few years back we took it with us to a 4th of July celebration and on our way home we had to recover it after it had flown out of the back of the pickup truck onto the highway. Handles had fallen off, it was rusty, and sadly we knew it would it would not survive another summer.
So when it came time to start thinking about Father’s Day gifts I just KNEW a new grill would be a home run.
This grill has everything!
About the Char-Griller Duo:
The Char-Griller Duo Gas / Charcoal Grill is a grill lover’s dream. This versatile grill allows charcoal and gas grilling in one attractive, heavy-duty grill. The Char-Griller Duo provides 1,260 square inches of grilling space. Add a side firebox and you’ve got the capacity to make true slow-cooked barbecue as well.
This heavy-duty steel grill features dual primary cooking surfaces, each measuring 438 square inches. Dual warming racks are chrome-plated and offer 192 square inches of space each. The grill boasts a powerful brass side burner, dual stacks for even heating on the gas grill side, and dual external thermometers to create the ultimate grilling experience.
Additional grill features:
- Electronic ignition w/ igniter probe on each burner
- Dual stainless steel thermometers
- Total cooking area: 1,260 sq. inches
- Heavy-duty steel construction w/ tubular steel cart
- 4 stainless steel burner tubes
- Dual 192-square-inch chrome-plated warming racks
- 40,800-BTU primary burner
- 12,000-BTU brass side burner
- Dual stacks for even heating on gas grill side
- 2-inch-diameter tubular steel cart construction
- Porcelain-coated Flame Shields
- Utensil hooks
- Stay-Cool hood handles
- Condiment basket
- Easy-dump ash pan
- Adjustable fire/charcoal grate on charcoal side
- Side firebox adaptable for use as barbecue smoker
- Lower storage shelf
- Side burner doubles as charcoal starter
- Towel bar
- 8-inch wheels for easy mobility
In the past my husband has always been partial to charcoal, but he realizes the benefits of having a gas grill as well. With the Char-Griller Duo, he has the luxury of having both options in one grill! Ironically, he actually picked the Char-Griller Duo out of a sale ad a couple of weeks ago and mentioned he’d like to have a grill like that.
Looks like he got his wish!
Because of the nature of receiving this grill to review, my husband had his Father’s Day a little early and actually had to assemble it himself.
Some of the great extra features of this grill:
Last night my husband brought home a sirloin steak so we could try out the grill, and he decided to use the gas side of the grill.
From my perspective – the person doing the eating, it made a FANTASTIC steak.
My husband – the person who does all the grilling, has his own perspective about the Char-Griller Duo, in his own words:
- Ease of assembly – it looks frightening when you pull it out of the box, but looks are deceiving. It went together in about an hour with no problems.
- Overall good construction- The char master is a solid well built grill overall. I personally have some concerns over the “hinge pins” for the cooling racks, a simple nut and bolt that cannot be tightened. It is a great idea, I would suggest using a bolt with a keyhole to pin that nut into place. The other thing I would recommend is a longer handle on the body of the grill. The bottom of the grill catches my heels when carting it around.
- Features- I love the grate style. The ability to raise and lower the charcoal is a very nice feature as well. The side burner is a lot nicer quality than I have seen on other models. I also like the spring load on the charcoal chimney.
- Heats evenly, cooks evenly, thermometers are accurate.
Overall a solid unit. If you are a weekend warrior or a passionate grill master, The Char-Griller Duo is a fine grill that will serve you well.
We live in Indiana where you never know what the weather might be, so when we are not using our grill, grill covers are a necessity. The Char-Griller Duo has a great cover available for it. It is big enough to fully cover the unit and has enough room in case you buy the optional side fire box for it down the road. The Char-Griller Duo/Trio Grill Cover is made of a heavy duty, weather resistant vinyl and protects the grill from the damaging potential affects of the sun, rain and birds.
It fits great and the heavy material will protect and extend the life of our grill.
If you have a dad in your life who loves to grill, this grill should be at the top of your list for Father’s Day shopping. My husband is grilling on it again tonight. Pork chops. He hasn’t been this excited about grilling in a long time. I haven’t been this excited about eating in a long time!
If you are interested in the Char-Griller Duo Gas / Charcoal Grill, you can purchase it from Hayneedle.com for $379.98 with free shipping.
The Char-Griller Duo/Trio Grill Cover is also available at Hayneedle.com for $44.99 with free shipping.
ENTER TO WIN A CHAR-GRILLER DUO GAS/CHARCOAL GRILL
One winner will receive a Char-Griller Duo Gas / Charcoal Grill (cover not included).
HOW TO ENTER (mandatory):
To enter, leave a comment and tell me a little bit about the Dad in your life who deserves this grill. Who is he and why would he love to receive this grill for Father’s Day? (ok so he will get it AFTER Father’s Day if you win, but seriously, I don’t think he will complain).
EARN EXTRA ENTRIES (optional):
Must complete required entry in order to qualify for extra entries.
- Follow me on Twitter – 1 EXTRA
- Follow Hayneedle on Twitter – 1 EXTRA
- Tweet the following or something similar (leave the link to each new Tweet each day) – 1 EXTRA PER DAY
Enter to WIN an amazing Char-Griller Duo Gas & Charcoal grill for the dad in your life this Father’s Day! http://bit.ly/jwaSQJ
- Like my page on Facebook – 1 EXTRA
- Like Hayneedle on Facebook – 1 EXTRA
- Follow me on Google Friend Connect (on the right sidebar of my site) – 1 EXTRA
- Share this giveaway on your Facebook wall – 1 EXTRA PER DAY
Please leave a separate comment for EACH extra entry. Provide links to Tweets, Facebook wall, blog posts, etc. as required for the entry.
Giveaway is open to the USA and ends on June 27, 2011 at noon CST. Winner will be selected at random from all eligible entries and will be contacted by email. Winner will have 48 hrs to respond. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your trusted email filter. If original winner does not claim their prize within 48 hrs, it is forfeit and a new winner will be selected promptly.
Note: I received the products pictured from Hayneedle.com in order to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.