In less than 15 minutes you can have a this Instant Pot enchilada soup on the table. It's a comforting way to serve something new on Taco Tuesday.
Soup for taco Tuesday
What flavors remind you of tacos on food trucks? How about a comforting and indulgent enchilada?
For me, it's all about the cheese, sauce, avocados, and beans.
Some people might disagree with me, but I can't imagine Mexican recipes without beans.
I created this soup to jazz up our Taco Tuesday routine. Sure there are a lot of taco recipes out there. I love Mexican rice almost every week.
But sometimes I'm just in the mood for soup.
Enchilada soup ingredients
You know I'm a fan of only using whole ingredients. I feel like it gives it a lot more nutrition and flavor depth.
Here's what I used in my enchilada soup.
- White onion
- Shredded turkey
- Enchilada sauce
- Black beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Masa harina (corn flour)
- Chicken stock
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Can you use ground turkey instead?
Yes, you can substitute ground turkey instead. I love shredded turkey because the texture of the shredded meat almost melts in the soup.
You can also use shredded chicken or pork if you prefer. All of them taste amazing in it.
How to make soup in an Instant Pot
I love making soup in my instant pot. It saves me so much time. I can literally have this made before my kids are even finished with their homework. It's amazing!
To make soup in the Instant Pot, I just follow a few steps:
- Saute the ingredients in the Instant Pot
- Quick release the pressure
- Add more ingredients
- Saute and stir
It is incredibly simple and such a time-saver.
The best toppings
What do you like on your enchiladas? Use those on your soup. Here are some of my favorite soup toppings:
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla chips
How to spice up this soup
This is a mild soup. You won't taste a whole lot of kick unless you use a spicy enchilada sauce.
If you want to add some spice, here are some ways I reccomend:
- Add sliced jalapenos on top
- Add a few dashes of hot pepper sauce
- Use diced tomatoes with spicy green chilis
Can you freeze enchilada soup?
This makes an excellent freezer meal. I like to put all the ingredients in a plastic resealable freezer bag. Then, I lay it flat in the freezer.
Don't forget to label it with the recipe name and the date.
Then all you need to do is thaw it in the fridge the night before. Frozen enchilada soup is best reheated on the stove or in a slow cooker.
But you can use your Instant Pot too. Just set it to saute and stir it until it is piping hot.
- 1 white onion - diced
- 2 tablespoon garlic - minced
- 2 cups shredded turkey - cooked
- 1 can red enchilada sauce - 10 ounces
- 1 can can black beans - 14 ounces - rinsed and drained
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with peppers - 14 ounces - drain juice (or 6 fresh tomatoes chopped with 1 bell pepper/or chilies chopped)
- 1 can corn - 14 ounces - drained
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ cup masa harina - corn flour
- 3 to 4 cups chicken stock - or vegetable stock
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- In the instant pot, add in white onion, garlic, cumin, and turkey. Set to saute mode and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in enchilada sauce, black beans, corn, and tomatoes. Either saute for 5 to 7 minutes or you can set to high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Once the instant pot stops counting quick release pressure.
- Whisk one cup chicken stock with ½ cup masa harina (corn flour) and then pour into the soup while stirring.
- Set to saute mode for 3 minutes and stir often until thick. Add in remaining chicken broth to get the consistency (thickness) you would like.
- Serve topped with cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, or pico!
More Taco Recipes
Here are some more of my favorite taco-inspired recipes. Try one of these next: