These easy, rich, fudgy dark chocolate brownies are gluten free and sugar free. You can have it as a dessert or an afternoon treat!
As I experiment with gluten-free baking, I know one thing for sure...I do not want to use additives like xanthan gum in order to create a yummy treat.
So I play.
And sometimes it comes out not half bad.
This time I took a clean brownie recipe and made it gluten-free and sugar-free. Normally I avoid "substitutes" and instead opt for raw honey as my sweetener of choice, but I was in a mood to try something different so I went with stevia for the sweetener. Certainly a better option than other artificial sweeteners and for those watching their calories, it is a great alternative.
Overall these are pretty darn good for something I substituted ingredients for on a whim. They are similar in texture to packaged brownies, not so much homemade ones, but if you are gluten-free and want brownies, these will certainly fill your craving. My son loves them and keeps asking for more. My daughter ate hers slowly, I think she doesn't yet have the palette for dark chocolate.
Easy Gluten-Free Brownies
- 4 oz dark chocolate - 70% or darker preferred
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ⅓ cup stevia - powdered
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - pure
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoon natural peanut butter - room temp.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt dark chocolate and butter in a sauce pan over low heat (watch carefully) or better yet in a bowl over a pot of boiling water.
- Stir in eggs, vanilla and stevia and stir until combined.
- Add in flour and cocoa powder just enough to make sure there are no white streaks. Don’t over stir.
- Pour mixture into an 8×8 baking dish that has been sprayed with olive oil and lined with parchment paper.
- Drop the peanut butter in small clumps across the surface and swirl into top of brownie mixture with a butter knife.
- Bake 15-18 minutes until toothpick comes out nearly clean.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Cut into 9 pieces.