Cleaning my stainless steel appliances has been one of the most challenging cleaning jobs in my house. With 2 kids, 2 dogs, and a hubby who isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty, our appliances look like they wrestled with a hippopotamus. Smudges and fingerprints, oh my! And I have wasted a lot of money trying store-bought products that just didn’t seem to work very well.
So I thought I’d try and use a homemade cleaner to clean my stainless steel appliances!
What you need:
- Dirty stainless steel appliance
- White vinegar
- Olive oil
- 2-3 Microfiber cloths
- Cotton cloth for drying
- Mix 1 part vinegar with 1 part water in a container or spray bottle (or use my homemade all-purpose spray cleaner recipe)
- Apply vinegar mixture directly to a microfiber cloth and clean surface of appliance
- Dry with a cloth.
- Apply a very small amount of olive oil, about the size of a dime, to microfiber cloth (either a clean one or the dry end of the one used to apply vinegar) and rub across surface. It will go a very long way. You will want to work from the top down. As you work your way down, use a dry microfiber cloth to buff and shine the stainless steel. For a small appliance you can apply the oil to the entire surface then buff, for a larger appliance you may want to do it in sections.
- Stand and admire in quiet awe.
In the past, I just cleaned the surface of my dishwasher with my homemade all-purpose cleaner and while it was clean, it was left streaked and uneven. It always bothered me but even when I had tried the chemical cleaners, they didn’t really do a better job.
The left side of this has just been cleaned with the vinegar & water mixture, the right side has been shined with olive oil and partially buffed.
It looks almost as good as when I pulled the blue plastic off right after they installed it!
I am so excited that not only is this a green cleaning solution that is safe for my family, I can clean my stainless steel appliances for a fraction of the cost of store-bought cleaners. And it works better!