My son has been obsessed with the Rubik’s Cube lately, in fact, he can actually solve it. Constantly. It’s kind of annoying considering I always had to take the stickers off.
Anyhow, when it came time to choose a Halloween costume this year I joked that he should be a Rubik’s Cube. And he thought it was a great idea.
By the way, if you aren’t interested in making your own costume, you can buy a Rubik’s Cube Halloween costume, but I don’t think they are quite as cool.
It turned out FANTASTIC!
This really was easy and didn’t cost very much to make.
What you need:
- Square box around 18″x18″ (my son is 10 and that is the size we used)
- Construction paper
- Rubber cement
- Black spray paint
- Black duct tape
- X-Acto knife
How to make:
- Spray paint the sides and top flaps of the box.
- Cut off bottom flaps.
- Measure and cut out 45 – 5 inch x 5 inch colored squares from construction paper, 9 each of 5 different colors.
- Use black duct tape to secure the sides of the top flaps.
- Cut a hole using the X-Acto knife big enough for their head to fit through in the very center of the top. You will have to go through 2 layers because of the flaps. I did one layer at a time. I then used more duct tape to make sure the flaps were secure and around the opening to avoid neck irritation from the cardboard.
- Cut a 4 inch diameter hole on each side, 2 inches from the top and centered for the arms.
- Apply rubber cement to each square (and to the box for a better bond) and place evenly along each side. You can shuffle the colors up for an unsolved cube, or do a full color on each side for a solved cube.
- Allow to dry.
He received a lot of compliments, and it was definitely a one-of-a-kind costume!
Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get updates and great stuff via email including subscriber-only goodies like free printables and giveaways.