Over-ripe bananas are used in this easy and delicious chocolate banana bread recipe.
The other day I had 4 sad organic bananas sitting on my counter that had browned faster than I could eat them.
I had 2 choices.
Save them for later by freezing them or make bread.
Well, of course, I made bread.
I made the most amazing, super, wonderful, best tasting banana bread ever*
(*based upon the opinion if its maker and her son).
But look, you can’t deny this Chocolate Banana Bread looks awesome:
Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
Clean Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3-4 mashed ripe bananas mash with fork
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/4 safflower oil you can use sunflower oil, grape seed oil, or other nut based oil - olive oil will work but it may require extra cooking time
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cocoa powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat bananas with a mixer until smooth then add egg until combined.
- Slowly stir applesauce, honey and oil into banana mixture.
- Blend dry ingredients into banana mixture.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with olive oil or cooking spray, pour batter in and bake for 45 minutes or until top has split and edges looked cooked. Test with a toothpick, depending upon your oil choice, it may take longer.