I have attempted the cabbage soup diet twice, completed it once and given the right motivation, I would do it again.
What is the cabbage soup diet?
The cabbage soup diet is a quick, fad, weight loss scheme that has been used for years to jump start a weight loss plan. It lasts 7 days and is definitely not meant to be a long-term or frequently repeated plan, but in a pinch it will work. If you don’t mind boring and routine each day, it actually isn’t that hard, and if you are someone who already is low-carb, gluten-free, or sugar-free, it actually isn’t very difficult at all.
The plan allows you to eat cabbage soup in unlimited quantities during the seven days (and has a recipe for it), and then also assigns certain specific foods for each of the seven days. The diet also restricts what you can drink as well. Supposedly you will lose from 5-10 lbs in the course of a week. My cabbage soup diet results were in that range.Print
- 6 large green onions
- 2 green peppers
- 1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
- 3 Carrots
- 1 Container (10 oz. or so) Mushrooms
- 1 bunch of celery
- half a head of cabbage
- 1 package Lipton soup mix
- 1 or 2 cubes of bouillon (optional)
- 1 48oz can V8 juice (optional)
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, etc.
- Slice green onions, put in a pot and start to saute with cooking spray.
- Cut green pepper stem end off and cut in half, take the seeds and membrane out. Cut the green-pepper into bite size pieces and add to pot.
- Take the outer leafs layers off the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces, add to pot.
- Clean carrots, cut into bite size pieces, and add to pot.
- Slice mushrooms into thick slices, add to pot.
- If you would like a spicy soup, add a small amount of curry or cayenne pepper now.
- You can use beef or chicken bouillon cubes for seasonings. These have all the salt and flavors you will need.
- Use about 12 cups of water (or 8 cups and the V8 juice), cover and put heat on low. Let soup cook for a long time – two hours works well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cabbage Soup Diet Eating Plan
You can drink all you want of water, unsweetened tea and unsweetened cranberry juice each day.
Fruit: Eat all of the fruit you want (except bananas). Eat only your soup and the fruit for the first day. For drinks- unsweetened teas, cranberry juice and water.
Vegetables: Eat until you are stuffed will all fresh, raw or cooked vegetables of your choice. Try to eat leafy green vegetables and stay away from dry beans, peas and corn. Eat all the vegetables you want along with your soup. At dinner, reward yourself with a big baked potato with butter. Do not eat fruit today.
Mix Days One and Two: Eat all the soup, fruits and vegetables you want. No Baked Potato.
Bananas and Skim Milk: Eat as many as eight bananas and drink as many glasses of skim milk as you would like on this day, along with your soup. This day is supposed to lessen your desire for sweets.
Beef And Tomatoes: Ten to twenty ounces of beef and up to six fresh tomatoes. Drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water this day to wash the uric acid from your body. Eat your soup at least once this day. You may eat broiled or baked chicken instead of beef (but absolutely no skin-on chicken). If you prefer, you can substitute broiled fish for beef on one of the beef days (but not both).
Beef and Vegetables: Eat to your heart’s content of beef and vegetables this day. You can even have 2 or 3 steaks if you like, with leafy green vegetables. No Baked Potato. Eat your soup at least once.
Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices and vegetables: Again stuff, stuff, stuff yourself. Be sure to eat your soup at least once this day.
The first time I did the cabbage soup diet, I went the full seven days and lost 7.8 lbs. I was ecstatic and it was enough to for me to try it again. I lost 5.4 lbs the second time around and I only made it 4 1/2 days that time. So if you would ask me “does the cabbage soup diet really work” I would answer a resounding YES. Again this is to be done as a one-time or occasional thing in order to jump start your weight loss goals. Critics say you only lose water weight but I maintained my weight and continued to lose afterwards.
To see my complete journey visit: cabbage soup diet.Please do not take this as medical advice, it is simply my experience. Consult your physician before attempting any new eating program.
Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get updates and great stuff via email including subscriber-only goodies like free printables and giveaways.