Running out of ideas for what to do with Elf on the Shelf? Do you need some easy Elf on the Shelf ideas to get you through to Christmas? Well, I’ve been there, so I put together 101 Elf on the Shelf ideas to help inspire you and hopefully help save your sanity.
I tried to list a variety of ideas including Elf on the Shelf Mischievous ideas and plenty of funny Elf on the Shelf ideas to keep your kids laughing, and your elf looking like the coolest elf on the block.
You can get my 101 ideas for free below, but there is also a similar book on Amazon with 101 Elf on the Shelf Ideas: 101 Things to do With Your Christmas Elf.
101 Elf on the Shelf Ideas
I’d love to hear your feedback on any of these Elf on the Shelf ideas, what worked for you or how to make any of them better. You can also search Pinterest for more Elf on the Shelf ideas.
1. Tape the elf to the wall (and put tape over his mouth) and have army men standing around him.
2. Position the elf to make it look like he is fishing for goldfish crackers in a bowl or in a sink.
3. Leave a message from him in toothpaste on the mirror.
4. Use these printable superhero costumes to disguise him.
5. Have him make a snow angel in flour
6. Smear some peanut butter on his face, and position him next to the open jar.
7. Create an elf ball pit out of colorful pompom balls.
8. Add red or green food coloring to a gallon of milk and give the elf a small sign that reads “elf milk”.
9. Create a zipline out of string and use a candy cane to the elf to use to hang from it.
10. Put the elf in a jar with a note that says “I farted in here” or “I tooted in here”.
11. Decorate the Christmas tree with clean underwear and place the elf inside one of the pairs.
12. Draw faces on a bag of mandarin oranges and set the elf up next to it with a marker.
13. Wrap the elf in garland and hang him on the Christmas tree.
14. Tape the elf to the outside of a glass door or sidelight next to a door with a sign that says “let me in”.
15. Wrap toilet paper around the Christmas tree and position the elf nearby with a roll of the evidence.
16. Decorate the kitchen cabinets or the fridge with a bag of gift bows, and have the elf hiding inside the bag.
17. Tie up another toy like a Darth Vader or some other “bad guy” and have the elf standing over him victoriously.
18. Leave a trail of “reindeer poop” using brown, round cereal and have the elf cleaning it up with a spoon and a little sign that says “reindeer poop cleanup crew”.
19. Suspend a round ornament from a light or ceiling fan and have the elf sitting on it.
20. Use these printable elf photo props to create a fun scene.
21. Put a straw in a jar of syrup and have the elf drinking from it.
22. Wrap the toilet in wrapping paper and put the elf in the corner covered in tape and small pieces of wrapping paper.
22. Have the elf put paper elf hats on all of the family (including pets) photos around the house.
23. Setup Elf Twister with some other toys with this elf Twister printable.
24. Have the elf sitting in a chair reading a mini Elf on the Shelf book with a free printable.
25. If you need a break for a few days, put a cast on the elf with a note from Santa saying he can’t move for awhile while he recovers.
26. Build an igloo with cotton balls and glue and put the elf inside.
27. Create a swing with a toilet paper roll and some string and hang it from a doorway, fan or light fixture with the elf sitting on it.
28. Spread chocolate frosting all over the toilet and have the elf hold a sign saying “I tried to potty train the dog” (or the cat, or the hamster or the fish – whatever).
29. Elf “bowling” with Hershey Kisses and a small ball or round candy.
30. position the elf with some dog biscuits and a sign that reads “these cookies are terrible, Santa will not like them.”
31. Elf scavenger hunt. Hide a series of things like mini candy canes in the house and leave a note from the elf saying something like “I hid 10 candy canes in the kitchen, I bet you can’t find them!”
32. Let the elf be discovered with someone’s cell phone and some “elfie selfies” in the camera’s photo album.
33. Position the elf so her is sitting on a small jar or glass with a Hershey Kiss “poo” sitting at the bottom of the glass and a sign that reads “can you spare a square?”
34. Elf using wrapping paper as stilts.
35. Pack a leg lamp nightlight into a small box and write FRAGILE on it. Have the elf opening the box with the lamp sticking out.
36. Fill the sink with cotton balls and a rubber duck and let the elf take a “bath”.
37. Trap the elf inside something glass with a help sign inside.
38. Use pipe cleaners to turn a series of toys into reindeer and have the elf go sledding with them.
39. Have the elf make super fun lunches filled with treats instead of traditional lunch food.
40. Have the elf make paper snowflakes.
41. Position the elf partially inside a bag of candy like he is stealing it.
42. Use cereal to have the elf spell out a message.
43. Have the elf make a snowman out of powdered donuts.
44. Make up bags of “reindeer food” for the elf to bring.
45. Hide some of your Christmas tree ornaments and have the elf hanging on the tree with a note to find the ornaments he hid.
46. Put the elf in the center of a roll of toilet paper and have him roll down the stairs unrolling the paper.
47. Using a dry erase marked, draw a moustache on all of the photos in the house that are in a glass frame. Pets too!
48. Have the elf replace all family photos with his photo.
49. Fill a shower stall with balloons and tape the elf to the inside of the glass or fill the bathtub and have him laying on top.
50. Have the elf wrap something your child needs like their backpack, shoes or toothbrush.
Keep reading for more fun Elf on the Shelf ideas and creative suggestions!
51. Use these Mission Impossible printables to help the elf inspire your kids to do some chores.
52. While the kids sleep, use crepe paper and tape it across their door so they have to break through when they get out. Have the elf nearby with the roll of paper.
53. Have the elf create his likeness with Lego toys.
54. Position the elf as part of your Nativity set.
55. Hide the elf with his feet sticking out of a box of crackers inside a cabinet.
56. Dress the elf in a doll dress or other doll clothing.
57. Setup a game of scrabble with silly words and sit the elf near one of the game racks.
58. Hide the elf in a birdhouse with his little face peeking out of the hole.
59. Put the elf “on strike” for bad behavior.
60. Cut a character’s face out of a cereal box and put the elf in it with his face sticking out.
61. Put a spoon in an empty ice cream container with the elf holding the spoon.
62. Hang the elf on the fridge using a magnetic chip clip on each arm.
63. Have the elf spell out funny words or sayings with magnetic fridge letters.
64. Put the elf in a chair facing a corner for a “time out”.
65. Have the elf take a bunch of socks and tie them together to make a rope to use to climb down from something tall.
66. Put the elf inside the vacuum canister.
67. Set the elf on the couch with a soda, a bowl of popcorn and the remote.
68. Tape wrapping paper across the bathroom door with the elf sitting inside it covered in tape and scraps.
69. Position the elf so he is using exercise equipment or doing push ups. Make a “barbell” out of marshmallows and a straw cut to length.
70. Have the elf wrap the cabinet doors in wrapping paper.
71. Let the elf take a ride on a toy dinosaur or toy vehicle.
72. Have the elf build a snowman out of marshmallows.
73. Fill a bowl with water and put a carrot, 2 sticks, and some buttons floating in it with a sign that reads “I brought you a snowman.”
74. Draw faces on a bunch of bananas and have the elf holding the marker.
75. Leave the elf with his hand inside a piggy bank.
76. Setup an elf kissing booth with this free printable.
77. Have the elf release a bunch of helium balloons up to the ceiling, and hang him from one of them.
78. Have the elf “trap” another toy or stuffed animal in a jar and have him sitting on top, victorious!
79. Get a package of large googly eyes and tape them as pairs on a bunch of items inside the fridge. Have the elf inside the fridge as well.
80. Wrap the elf in a small blanket and put him in the freezer.
81. Tie up the elf and have other toys hold him hostage.
82. Place the elf’s feet inside the mouth of a nutcracker.
83. Wrap the elf in a string Christmas lights and plug them in, leaving some of the lights trailing behind.
84. Take batteries out of things like remotes and cameras hide them. Leave a note with the elf saying something like “haha I stole all the batteries and hid them.”
85. If you have a pet, tie up the elf and leave a note nearby that reads “elves drool, dogs rule” (or whatever your pet is).
86. Get some pink felt and create a pink bunny costume for the elf (in reference to the costume from A Christmas Story).
87. Stack up canned goods into a tree shape and have the elf partially wrapped in lights with the rest of the lights wrapped around his “tree”.
88. Position the elf so he is taking a nap in a tissue box.
89. Get a cheap toothbrush and put the elf in the bathroom using the brush to wash himself (for more humor, have him washing his bottom).
90. If you have a decor item like a Santa or a snowman, have the elf covering the statue’s eyes from behind like a “guess who”.
91. Have the elf change all of the light bulbs in a room to red bulbs.
92. Have the elf replace the toilet papers rolls with rolls of tape.
93. Use cotton swabs to have the elf leave a message or make snowflakes.
94. Tape the elf to a clock and position his arms like clock arms using clear tape.
95. Have the elf tape red pom poms on all of the family photos.
96. Wrap the elf in foil with a note that says “beam me up Scotty”.
97. Have the elf wrap the entire Christmas tree in wrapping paper.
98. Put the elf on top of a container of sugar with a note that reads “please make me some cookies.”
99. Get a jar of ginger and some bread, make a house shape our of the bread, and put the ginger under it. Make a sign for the elf that reads “I made a gingerbread house for you.”
100. Have the elf sitting on a can of peas with a note that reads “I pea’d myself.”
101. Turn the elf into a Minecraft Creeper with this free Minecraft printable.
Are there any of these Elf on the Shelf ideas that you have already used? Any you simply must use this year? Any other Elf on the Shelf ideas or suggestions to add to the list?