This post was sponsored by Amazon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central.
I loved road trips as a kid, and we did plenty of them. Eight hours each way, multiple times a year from Chicago to Munising, Michigan to visit my great-grandmother and in later years my grandfather. I will never forget that magical time we spent in the car. My parents in the front seat and my sister and I in the back. We sang songs, played games, and the time flew by even though there really wasn’t a whole lot to see along the way.
Who am I kidding.
It was rough.
“Are we there yet?”
“Mom, she’s on my side.”
“Are we there yet?”
“Are we there yet?”
Not to mention some minor disagreements between the adults about whether or not we are going the right way and discord regarding the best way to get around construction.
While I remember those trips fondly, I’m sure my parents remember the nagging and the fighting far more clearly than I do. But that’s ok, my kids have paid back that experience ten-fold.
Today, road trips take on a different form, but I still love them. The kids are relegated to the back seat, just like when I was their age and they still attempt to drive us crazy. But thanks to my Amazon Fire Tablet, road trips are now actually enjoyable instead of just being fond memories where I blank out the actual “road” part of the trip.
The key to road trip harmony is having all of the right apps on your Amazon Fire Tablet – a little something for everyone. The Amazon Fire Tablet already comes with some great native apps such as Amazon Video, Amazon Music and Amazon Books and combined with some additional must-have apps they make a great base to ensure a fun and unforgettable road trip.
10 Must-Have Amazon Fire Tablet Apps for Summer Road Trips with Kids
- MAPS.ME: MAPS.ME allows you to plan your trips and customize maps for offline use, so you can access them no matter where you are without the need for an internet connection. It covers over 345 different countries, has detailed maps with routes and even has walking directions. This is the perfect app for those of us who take on the role of navigator for someone who thinks they don’t need to take a map along.
- Gas Buddy: Gas Buddy is great to use for planning your trip. You will need an internet connection to look up gas prices, but you can search by city, state or zip code to find the lowest gas prices along your route. Save money so you can buy more souvenirs.
- OverDrive: OverDrive is a great app that allows you to borrow ebooks and audiobooks from your local library. You then download them to your Amazon Fire Tablet for access on-the-go without the need for an internet connection. OverDrive has an amazing collection of books for kids, teens and adults and includes new releases and older books. You can never have too many books along on a road trip and OverDrive is free if you library participates which really helps your travel budget!
- Photo Studio: Taking photos is a fun part of a road trip, with Photo Studio you can edit photos, add effects and stickers and create collages from the memories you made on your trip, right from your Amazon Fire Tablet. This is a great activity for the kids, I love to assign them each topics during the trip such as “a cool sign” and let them take a picture and edit it with text and special effects. After the trip I take each of their photos and create a memory book for them with the photos they took and designed.
- Trip Advisor: Trip Advisor will help you plan your trip by showing you the lowest prices on hotels, restaurants and other fun things to do during your trip. It also offers maps, reviews and user photos with downloadable content that you can access without the need for an internet connection. When you travel it’s difficult to know if a place is worth your time and money, Trip Advisor helps take the guesswork out of that and helps you get the most value for your time and money.
- WeatherBug: Weatherbug requires an internet connection but it really is a must-have when you are traveling. You can check the weather on each leg of your trip when you stop at locations that have wi-fi or from your hotel room each evening so you can plan the next day. There is nothing worse than arriving at the beach only to find out it’s going to storm all day.
- Amazon Video: Amazon Video is a sanity saver on long road trips with kids, especially if you are an Amazon Prime Member, but anyone can enjoy it. You can watch your favorite movies or TV shows right on your Amazon Fire Tablet without an internet connection. If you aren’t an Amazon Prime member you can download and view digital movies and shows that you have purchased through your Amazon account. If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can download any of your purchased movies and shows, but you can also download ‘Included With Prime’ movies and shows for FREE to watch on your device.
- Amazon Music: Sometimes you just want to listen to your favorite tunes and Amazon music makes that possible in a great way. With Amazon Music you can download and listen to your purchased songs and Amazon Prime members can also download ‘Prime Music’ for offline listening. Some great family sing-alongs (off-key of course) have happening on a road trip with the Amazon Music app.
- Kindle Books: With plenty of free books and an entire world of Kindle ebooks available, the Kindle Books app will make sure they always have something to read with them on the road. With a Kindle Unlimited subscription there are many additional books available to enjoy for free as part of the subscription. We love reading travel books and joke books on road trips. We also like to pick out a book that we all will enjoy and pass the Amazon Fire Tablet around as we take turns reading the book out loud.
- Amazon FreeTime: Amazon FreeTime provides a way for you to add family profiles and parental controls to your Amazon Fire Tablet depending upon who is using it. You choose exactly which apps, books and movies they have access to and you can also choose to turn on child-safe web browser with curated website chosen specifically for kids. This app gives me great peace of mine knowing that when I give them my Amazon Fire Tablet to use, that they aren’t able to access the things that I don’t want them to have access to. Sometimes everyone wants some downtime and to do their own thing. Amazon FreeTime makes that easy with younger kids and there is also a teen profile option for kids 11 and older.
The Amazon Fire Tablet has 7 hours of battery life, internal storage capacity, and the ability to add a microSD card for up to 128 GB of additional storage which gives you amazing capacity to download all of the books, apps, movies, games, magazines, etc that the whole family needs and wants for summer road trips.
Quickly switch profiles and hand the Amazon Fire Tablet off to even the youngest members of the family to enjoy some of their favorite games, movies, books and more.
We really love the versatility of the Amazon Fire Tablet. It fits easily into a purse or small travel bag keeping it at arms length no matter where we go, and it’s easy to share the device among all of the members of the family.
And best of all, the Amazon Fire Tablet is so affordable!
Whenever we hit the road now, whether for an actual road trip or even just a short outing we all make sure we have a snack, water and that someone grabbed the Amazon Fire Tablet. We just don’t leave home without it anymore. It has become a way for us to connect as a family and has provided the opportunity for each of us to be entertained in our own way as well.